iPhone 6?

ednuttall

Anybody have any information on the iPhone 6?

My phone is due an upgrade but I'm waiting for the iPhone 6, I know there are a lot of rumours but just interested in any information about it!

I thought I'd never get used to the Galaxy S3 and that has a similar size screen as what's reported for the iPhone 6.

To be honest, I got used to it very quick. I watch a lot of Netflix on my phone. The screen is just perfect size.

However, I don't like the screen size on the S5 - which looks more like a hybrid phone/tablet. My brother got one and the size is just too much for me.

I'm relatively happy with my S3 - but I just found out that it doesn't support 4G, there were 2 models, i9300 and i9305 and I was hoodwinked into the i9300 thinking it supported 4g - but it doesn't.

Anyway - hope you enjoy the iPhone 6 - I believe the iPhone 5s was a disappointment, my other brother has that and says it wasn't worth the upgrade.

Yeah, I guess I should be a bit more open minded as I have never owned any other phone apart from an iPhone, So it will be interesting to see how I get on with the bigger screen!

Agreed, My girlfriend has just upgraded her phone to the 5s and Im not impressed with it really, it looks very slick, but apart from that I can't really see the big hype about it.

Much rather be patient and wait for the iPhone 6. :)

I did a lot of research into a smartphone before I got the S1 - and I got it because it was the best available.

I skipped the S2 and got the S3 because the battery life on the S1 sucked.

I wanted to get the S5 - but the screen is too big, so I'll be looking for a new phone.

Thing is - I love the NFC and the Beam on the Samsung, and me and my girlfriend have Samsungs and share a lot through Beam and WiFi Direct which is superfast.

I only got her into Samsung phone and understanding how the Beam and WiFi Direct works - and I'm afraid to move to another system for fear of another round of one one one tutorials with her... sigh....

I've had an iPhone for about 6 years now, ever since 3G as that was the first one actually worth getting. My upgrades were; 3G, 4, 5S. It always felt like I got an upgrade due to me skipping a model or two. I don't quite understand the hardcore Apple fans that go from 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S etc and don't feel like they've really had an upgrade or not really notice much different from their old model. I mean what do they expect? I knew there wouldn't be much of a difference between the iPhone 4 & 5, that's why I waited for the 5S and I'm glad I did. The 'S' version just gives you that bit more that makes it all the more worthwhile.

I don't believe a bigger screen = better phone. When in truth a bigger screen = Bigger phone, which for me is a big no-no. I think the iPhone 5s screen is as big as it should get. I don't like the Samsungs screen size, the phone is far too big, may as well carry around a tablet at that size. The iPhone has lost it's mojo and is trying to compete with Samsung, hence the screen size gradually getting bigger and bigger.

After my soon to be 7 year long relationship with iPhones, I have decided to move on. Ever since Apple's father passed away, I don't feel like they are having the same effect, bridging gaps or taking control of the market and revolutionising technology like iPhones used to. They have become too 'sameish' and bringing out model after model with nothing to really get excited about. It is almost like the leader has now become the follower, struggling to keep up with it's competitors. They are no longer worth their overpriced costs.

I am waiting for the new Huawei phone, the one after this summers P7, as I believe they are going to take over in terms of functionality & value for money.

Well my contract runs out in December - so I'll start researching phones then.

The S3 is a nice sized phone, it's light and compact and works great! I'm just changing so I can get 4G.

I know a lot of people fret over the size of the phone, but I think the S3 should be as big as it gets. After that you're into over 5inch screens and that's just crazy.

I'm toying with the idea of Huawei or a HTC - but I just don't know yet.

The worst thing about buying a phone is that the shop rarely has a working model on hand. So you can't really test drive them before you buy them.

I'd consider the iPhone if the price is right.

But it really comes down to

4G capable
Screen size
Data allowance
NFC
Price
Contract

(I get free calls and texts to the same network so that suits me)

:focus:

Latest rumour is

Apple's 2014 iPhone is expected to include a larger redesigned form factor, with 4.7" and 5.5" diagonal screens.

The 4.7" model will be introduced first around September, with the 5.5" model following later.

Nah S3 is too big for me. I like to be able to fully operate my phone with one hand and with ease. I also find them slightly too completed to use. At least with the iPhone "You just, do..." (lol sorry had to get that in there.) My old man has had one for about 3 years now? And still doesn't know how to operate it properly or use it to it's full potential. No one really has that problem with iPhones, gotta give them credit for that.

4G is fantastic, it is like fast broadband speed. I don't like that I am almost forced to take out 24month contracts these days. 18 Months is more than long enough. But I can't complain too much about the contract I got last year as I got the phone free + cashback, it has 4G, Unlimited calls and texts and twice the amount of data allowance that i'll ever use at £30p/m. Yes its twice the amount I was paying say 10 years ago, but I did not have a smart phone with all its capabilities 10 years ago.

:focus:

Latest rumour is

Apple's 2014 iPhone is expected to include a larger redesigned form factor, with 4.7" and 5.5" diagonal screens.

The 4.7" model will be introduced first around September, with the 5.5" model following later.

Hhmmm now doesn't that sound familiar lol.

Last edited:
Just on phone/screen size I have the HTC One M8 with a 5" screen - which was an upgrade from the original HTC One - and I looked at it when it arrived and thought 'that is huge' but I am now totally used to it. It can be used with one hand and the display is beautiful. I thought the same when my One turned up as well and now that looks too small. What I will say is that the M8 is at the point of not fitting comfortably in my pocket which is where the real issue is. I wouldn't go any bigger and hope that this is the 'maxed out' size for a phone. If Apple release a 5.5" version of the iPhone I'd urge you to go and take a look at it in the flesh and try things like putting it in jeans pockets.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean after a while you do get used to larger screen sizes, as I did from going from the iPhone 4 to the 5s, but I tend to hold the Samsung with one hand and operate it with the other hand's finger, as it is just too big to use with one hand operating it with the thumb like I do with my iPhone. I don't have small hands either. It's not that I can't do it, its just not as easy or comfortable or as fast to navigate due to the size. I just don't see the need for huge phones with huge screens, they are mobile phones at the end of the day. Yes, it is better for watching movies on etc. but I would much rather watch short movie clips on my phone and full length movies on a tablet (not that I have one), PC/Mac or TV. I like my phone to fit comfortably in my hand and pocket, for easy access and ease of use.

Apple iPhone has had it's day, I just don't think what they offer any longer justifies their price tag in comparison to other and arguably better smart phones on the market. They certainly are no longer 'top dog.'

Apple iPhone has had it's day, I just don't think what they offer any longer justifies their price tag in comparison to other and arguably better smart phones on the market. They certainly are no longer 'top dog.'

Agreed, you'd have to wrestle my HTC out of my cold, dead hand before you'd get me to use an iPhone.

I'm going along the same thoughts there, bigdave.

Really depends what's on the market by December though, that's when my contract expires and I'll be eligible for an upgrade.

My contract is currently up for renewal and i keep thinking on whether to hold out until september or just look at finally leaving apple behind. I am 'bored' with what apple has to offer, but then will i only be excited by an android phone because its new to me and then regret leaving apple once the fad period is over? at the end of the day, one phone is always going have one thing over another so i think the main deciding factor for me will be the price.

I was looking at the OnePlusOne as my alternate option to iPhone though for those interested.

iPhone 6 looks to be yet again underwhelming.

As for iPhone 7, I can just see it now:

iPhone-7-jk.jpg

Straplines:

'Bigger than bigger than BIGGERer...'

'Size does matter'

'7 inches' the new 'average''

I think Apple are running out of ideas.

Back