Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jun 24, 2009.

1. tim

tim Senior Member

Who has the iPhone 3GS?

I got the 3G thursday and returned it on sunday to Apple, to get the 3GS (where they told me that they'd been trying to get hold of me all week to invite me to an interview!).

it's waaaay faster than the 3G, i gotta say, but what do you guys generally think of it?

2. just got my 3G for the moment... probably won't bother upgrading.. have to save for the wedding.. maybe later i'll upgrade :)

the 3Gs does look very groovy tho :)

3. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

My gf got one on the weekend, white one, looks nice but that's about as much as I can tell you as she won't put it down!

4. tim

tim Senior Member

haha, i got the white 16GB too :)

only problem is i cant go on DF on it!

5. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

can you not? I think I did on the 15seconds she's let me play with it?? or maybe I'm getting confused and I was using her now redundant ipod touch, shortly to be put on ebay

6. tim

tim Senior Member

i can get on to the website, i can enter my details, but i cant log-in. so useless really if i wanna contribute.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

15 seconds and you went for DF :D

That's strange, does it bring up any sort of error or just back to start and logged out?

8. tim

tim Senior Member

go back to the homepage and stays logged out.

9. Greg

Greg Active Member

Have you tried any other vBulletin forum sites? Might be a vBulletin issue, let me know if it's just on DF or on all vB forums and I'll post on the vBulletin forum site & see if anyone knows about it.

10. tim

tim Senior Member

Just tried it again to make sure it definitely didn't... It rejected me the first time, didn't even acknowledge I tried to log in, then second it did it straight out. Strange!

11. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

I'll try and remember to check for you guys on the ipodtouch tonight, maybe there's an updated version of safari, or maybe I didn't try logging in before

12. Anon.

Anon. Senior Member

If it's that much faster then the 3G you can imagine how quick it's seems to me upgrading from my original 2G! - sooo fast!!

I'm glad I upgraded rather than just updating to the new software.

By the way, I've logged onto my DF account a few times now with no problems.

13. tim

tim Senior Member

Maybe it was just a dodgy connection/firewall then? i have no idea! :confused:

14. Romack

Romack Senior Member

i really like the HTC Magic...

ooo Android, makes me think of Bishop from alien

15. chris1791

chris1791 Member

The 3GS is amazing, I mean being able to video and then send images via a text message, who would have thought of that? It is truly ground breaking stuff :rolleyes:

16. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I've got the same view, but you missed the touchscreen bit out :)

Sorry I have a huge dislike for the iPhone, I think its overhyped and we're paying for a brand name as the internals have been around for several years albeit in slightly different guises and without capacitive touch. Hell my old SE p900 can do everything the iphone can do (except wifi and multi touch) albeit with the technical limitations of when it was produced (ie no 3g and lower res imagery) and it can even run more than one thing at a time too, man such a radical approach :rolleyes:

17. RossAdams

RossAdams Member

I posted yesterday from my iPhone, however, it's an original first Gen so maybe that makes a difference. I'll be upgrading to the 3GS as soon as I'm happy there's no issue jailbreaking it! A little naughty i know, but couldn't go back to the 'standard' phone, love modding and tweaking mine, just to be different i guess!

18. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I had a 1st Gen iPhone which I 'jailbraked' (is that good English?). It was quite easy to do and I happily used with T-Mobile. I sold the iPhone on eBay just before Christmas last year...I made more money on it than the initial cost to buy it....mugs. The plan is to get a new 3Gs in September however going back to a 'normal' mobile is a drag. Ok so I can still email, text and listen to music (which I never do, still got the 160Gb iPod Classic), it's just not the same. Yes, I miss the experience, I miss my movies, I miss my lovely touch screen....

....ahem...

Roll on Sept and here I come O2. The wife can have the Sony Errision walkman thingy phone.

oh, and I have a really nice camera already so don't have a problem with the 'oo it's got a poor camera brigade'

19. tim

tim Senior Member

do you like iPods, or Macs? you could argue that they're just the same internals, but that you're paying for the name.

i agree and disagree with you. yes, the features have been around before, but apple expanded on the features that are on previous phones. i'd know because i had the 3G to compare to the 3GS, and then my 3GS to compare to my LG Cookie, you can tell apple have ticked the old boxes but expanded it.

for example, auto-focus. my LG cookie had 3mp, but no auto-focus?

i think this is another case of 'haven't tried one but am still judging it'.

20. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I have tried the iPhone and didn't think it was anything special, yes its nice and pretty on the os but it doesn't do enough of what I want, plus I've been with symbian and win mo for ages and they let me get at ANYTHING I want to. And you say they've expanded, how, they've added a pretty interface which stops you from getting to YOUR files and a media player (which I'll admit is pretty nice if you use it). I don't see the app store as that special, it takes ages to get past all the junk on there. Plus I still use a stylus so I can do character recognition or if I wanted to a quick sketch etc, I also reguarly have more than one app running.

I also look at it this way, the iPhone sells sim free for around £900 on Play.com and O2 do a contract free with £120 data bolt on for £583. The iPod touch sells for at most £283, can you honestly say that the iPhone is worth the additional expense for what is basically a £50 phone along with an iPod touch? I can't especially considering I don't use my phone for data over 3G and I'm always within my wifi when I would need it.

I have an 2nd Gen ipod nano 4GB (which I never use!) and will be getting a touch when they're updated purely to test my website and animations on. I don't actually think the iPod touch is badly priced, although I would probably buy a zune HD if I could get one due to it having tegra.

The mac is different too, you can run two major os's (linux doesn't count) on it, you can't (legally) with any windows system so you are in effect saving money, although I do feel the price premium for the metal shell is a tad high, the manufacturing process is no where near as 'new' as apple makes out. Although having said that I do disagree with apples view of a 'workstation', the mac pro has no workstation gpu (ie firegl or quadro) and for my purposes of CAD I can get a better setup by buying 2 machines for roughly the same cost as 1 mac pro.