Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPads - worth getting one?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by houseofdeadleg, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Like the title says, is it worth getting one? I haven't had chance to have a go with one yet and wasn't really that interested at first but i'm getting to like them. Anyway it's not for me, it's for a present:eek:

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

my view
    - slates/tablets yes, especially with a pen, my preference being the Asus EP121 due to the fact it's basically a laptop with removalable keyboard and a full blooded os.
    - iPad no

Tim will obviously say the iPad isn't very good :p
    Tim is our resident Apple supporter, while I'm the resident realist when it comes to computers and looks at things from more than just it's Apple :p
    There are a fair few on here with them though iirc

Will say though that there will likely be an update to the iPad in Jan or Feb next year so unless you're desperate wait..

3. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Yes. Definitely. I got mine the day they came out and have used it every day for at least an hour a day… They can do pretty much anything. I can't even begin to explain how much I love mine, and how useful it is.

What exactly are you wanting it for? If it's just for general use then you really really won't be disappointed in any way, shape or form!

Sent from my iPad ;)

4. Levi

That's a good point actually Harry - what is it going to be used for?

If it's just web browsing while lounging on the sofa you could save some money and get the (wifi) advent vega (10" w/s android) slate from PCWorld for £250 and in my view it will do everything the iPad (wifi) can do albeit without the iPad pricetag, it even supports flash.

5. Harry

Harry Senior Member

iPad does come with iTunes and a far superior app store, though. Renting films from totally within the iPad is amazing! The iPad is so so cheap; people who complain on its pricetag baffle me!

6. Levi

itunes is easily replaced by double twist and as for the app store being superior, quanitity maybe but Android is just as well stocked as itunes in terms of quality (itunes has enough fart/beer drinking app's etc) and pretty much any major app is on both now. As to rental can't say I'd pay what itunes asks for one but that's just me, I'd rather just buy the dvd so I can watch whenever...obviously you can't do on the go rental straight out of the box but without checking UK options I'm sure there's something for android which can do it, although obviously with support for flash you can go that route :p

7. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I'd go iPad but wait a month or so.

8. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I've been looking at the cheaper tablets on android. I'm more tempted by them than an ipad for now.

Consider that the iphone 4 is the strongest version yet (hd camera, flash etc.) I think passing on the ipad for now might be worth it long term.

However having used one, they are pretty awesome!

9. Thanks for the input guys, will hold off on it for now, after doing some googling there seem to be lots of rumours about the first quarter of next year, will see if there's anything to them.

As for what it's for, it's for a present for my g/f so she can stop pinching my laptop. Mainly for surfing the web, bit of word processingy stuff ocassionally, games, etc. I haven't used one, and also haven't used anything with Android on it, but if the OS is anything like the version you get on their desktops & laptops that's a big 1/0 in the iPad's favour.

Going off topic now, I get made redundant in 2 weeks (Christmas Eve, woo!) so if anyone knows of any design jobs going round Leeds, York, Hull way let me know! Cheers guys

10. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Irony, you'll be nicking the iPad off her :p

I'm in Leeds; I'll keep an eye out :)

11. Teco88

Teco88 Junior Member