Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jan 27, 2010.

1. tim

tim Senior Member

that's pretty cool.

anybody?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

A quote taken from the engadget live blogging -
    "You can browse the web with it. It's the best web experience you've ever had." (might be paraphrased but you get the idea)

well that it might be until you come to a site that uses flash [​IMG]

Now I'm no fan of flash but you can't go saying its the best web experience if it doesn't support the whole web experience - warts and all.

At this present moment I'm not overly impressed by it, it better not be any more than a decent netbook (£400) as it offers less features in my opinion. Hell I'm currently prefering the HP slate with win7 on it as I can run what I want on it etc. This might change when I see it in the flesh etc but first impressions count.

I'll probably end up getting one of the tegra/snapdragon options if the prices are right - unless the iPod touch xl is cheap

edit: also looks to have (in my opinion) a faily low res screen - ipod touch is 480-by-320 and the scaling looks like the iPad (stupid name) is twice vertically and horizontally meaning 920x640 (estimates)

3. tim

tim Senior Member

predictable and boring, levi :p

4. Levi

what like the iPad :p

Tim I am seriously interested in a web tablet for checking email etc at the table during breakfast sort of thing. This just isn't very good as a product, it doesn't look very nice (too much bezel and the button seems on the wrong side) and the os isn't really anything special being that it's basically iPhone os-x.

Theres plenty of likely cheaper options using android coming out soon enough :)

edit: oh it does seem to have iwork installed/available.

5. tim

tim Senior Member

i say that purely because you dont frickin need the best processors in the world to do what you need to do!

you're not doing 3d work on a 9" screen!

not a stupid name btw, makes sense. it's an ipod, but it's bigger, like a writign pad, it's an iPad. sweet.

and btw they havent announced anything to do with flash yet so who knows, but i use one site on my macbook pro which uses flash- youtube. which obviously has a mobile or will have an iPad version.

nahh not really

6. Levi

there was an icon showing no flash on one of the webpages during the presentation.

I don't want it to run my 3d apps, I would however like to be able to multitask (still looks like it cant) and it to not have an os that a gcse student could have mocked up after the ipod touch was announced.

The idea of iwork is kind of tempting but I very rarely do presentations in that way.

7. tim

tim Senior Member

i dont get viruses.

[​IMG]

8. Levi

I'm not the only apple 'fan' thinking it's not very good.

I'm not saying it won't sell as it more than likely will but to me it should have been so much more especially considering all the 'the interface is revolutionary' type comments about the iPad leading up to today.

9. tim

tim Senior Member

i dont care if you're not the only one who thinks its crap!

shhhh!

im not gonna lie, i REALLY dont care!

10. tim

tim Senior Member

its not that i like to block out anti-apple opinions i just get what your saying and dont need it reiterating 4/5 times again!

big upz levi, i respect your knowledge and your skillset, im just sayin.

11. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

So what is it exactly, what can it do that iphone can't? When will they be in the shops?:clap:

12. tim

tim Senior Member

$499.

$130 for 3g model
    $100 for 32GB model

13. Levi

june july time in the UK by the looks of it. US price is $499+ (add $130 for 3g) meaning it will run at just shy of £400 (us to uk conversion + VAT and a bit for delivery) in the UK without 3G if any other apple product is to go by.

Think it should be a bit cheaper but it is Apple after all and they stick a premium on it.

And theres accessories - a keyboard dock and a portfolio folder thingy,

Hmm an asus eeepc t91mt is about £400 too.

14. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

Hmmm can you put like adobe suite on it?

15. tim

tim Senior Member

great defence tactic there.

fail.

£400 is sweet! and the accessories arent 100% necessary.

16. Levi

well look at it this way tim - you can get a fully functioning netbook (not saying they're perfect either) with multi touch screen and keyboard for around £400 or you can have a slightly lighter, os limited, apple tablet.

Batterylife is going to be about the same, performance in web browsing is likely to be the same but you also get flash etc.

An iPod touch 32GB is £235, half the ram would make it about 200 - is the screen and case (the cpu will be really cheap as it's in house) really worth £200 more - I'm not so sure

iTunes is also a negative in my view, it runs crap on windows 7 x64.

ally - adobe etc is a no (excluding iphone photoshop etc)

17. tim

tim Senior Member

HA battery life the same.

os limited? to an extent yes, but 140k apps!? that's always expanding, and for this to be a device that slots in BETWEEN an iphone and a laptop, this is sweet!

yeah itunes is crap for pc just like office for mac.

i get where you're coming from but i knew you were gonna say that because you're a pc guy. you look at whats inside rather than what comes out of it.

i have a way old processor (your opinion), but yet it does all the crap i need it to day in day out at the same speeds constantly. did i have to browse around for latest and greatest to get good results? nope.

you go around fishing for those before buying the product instead of benchmarking the two to see where you physically stand, not where you stnad on paper.

i like this device, and i want one because it's a cool household portable. im not getting the 3g because it'd stay in my house and the wifi is all id ever use anyway.

if a microchip is released on o2 tho i'll probably grab the 3g because it's not that more expensive.

and btw if you compare apple screen responses to general hp (****) screen responses, i think you'd know natively which one to choose.

18. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I'm an Apple fan and I wasn't particularly impressed by it. Not saying they didn't do a nice job but I don't consider it to be revolutionary. It's a large iPod Touch with a bigger screen and better performance.

I'm not backing you up on this one Tim :p

19. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

That's what I was thinking Onartis, I too am an apple fan but you're right it's just a giant iPod!

20. tim

tim Senior Member

i agree to an extent- but i wasnt ever expected a brand new never seen before product. i was expecting to see something that ties in with apples services and ideas that are available currently.

i think it's looking great and it's a good idea as a business model as well as just being able to doss around and be able to rely on a product that is portable and web based.

it's all good in the hood i say.

but more importantly, i reckon it'll be like the 1st gen iphone- a bit amateurish but given much room to expand on in the near future, for OS or for full redesign. who knows.