iPad alternative for creatives

mrDerek

Hi guys, wondering if you could help me out.

Is there an iPad alternative which is more suited for creatives?
specifically for doing quick drawings and making notes? preferably these notes would be able to be exported as images, or something I can organise on the computer.

I've got nothing against the iPad, just all the stylus solutions I see for the iPad are quite crap and aren't very accurate.

I don't think that there are many things available like that to be honest.. if you want a stylus solution then you would probably need to get a laptop and attach a Wacom Tablet... None of the other iPad-a-likes i've ever used have been any good for anything other than as a drinks tray :lol:

Or you could save for one of these:

Cintiq - Product Overview

The iPad has some great note-taking/doodling apps, and you can buy styluses for it, if you're willing to spend on getting a decent quality one…

if you're a mac user theres the modbook (was available at computer warehouse in uk) - Axiotron : Modbook

if you're a windows user - dell xt2, hp do the tx1000, tx2000, slate (should have digitiser support) and theres also an elitebook from them too. They should all support pressure iirc.

Theres some asus, gigabyte and acer netbooks that support touch and stylus input too.

Viliv also have a range and also a windows tablet from archos.

If you are ok with windows don't forget moorestown should be out soon and this will bring a load of new models out. You also have android/meego/windows embedded slates coming soon, some with tegra 2 etc - supposedly around october.

doesn't seem like there's a good stylus solution for the iPad unfortunately :(
iPad Stylus - One that is pointy? - Mac Forums

...and from my experience, tablet PCs are generally PC first, tablet second. The touch on them are noway sensitive enough for note taking/ drawing. Do correct me if I'm wrong. Plus tablet PCs are generally bulky and don't have enough battery life in them for them to be decently portable.

But thanks for the post Levi, I'll take a look into those.

I was really looking forward to the Windows Courier, shame it got cancelled :(

I'd go with iPad, but if able to wait, I'd see what the eeePC / iPad v2 / other things that get announced / released in Q4 of this year. :)

iPad is definitely able to take notes with, and drawing isn't a problem, just a different canvas :p

mrDerek said:
...and from my experience, tablet PCs are generally PC first, tablet second. The touch on them are noway sensitive enough for note taking/ drawing. Do correct me if I'm wrong. Plus tablet PCs are generally bulky and don't have enough battery life in them for them to be decently portable.

depends on what you want to do really.

Get hold of a couple of programs and I doubt you'd be using most of the os. Obviously you've got your adobe software, add in office one note (kind of a digital scrap book - offline version of evernote in essence and the forerunner of courier), get hold of alias sketchbook pro (my preference) or corel painter for freehand sketching and then set up the desktop of windows 7 with large icons (they scale) linking to main programs and you've got an easy to navigate home page.

There are already finger friendly apps for windows but I suspect once slates are more readily available this will change.

I was really looking forward to the Windows Courier, shame it got cancelled :(
agreed, that looked like a nice product, would have snapped it up if it was anywhere near as fluid to the video's, closest to it currently is libretto w100 - limited run with windows 7 and custom software added

The modbook might be your best bet, but that isn't a cheap piece of kit. Failing that a wacom cintique would be great, but it needs decent computer to make the best of it.

Personally I am holding out to see what Ipad v2 and the competition are up to. If HTC can step up they way they have with their phones, it might be worth the wait.

some of Levi's suggestions look great, however they aint cheap either.

Do they run on a full OS rather than the dashboard style on the iPad?

That stuff by Kyle Lambert is amazing to think how he's done them.

Well amazing any way, but even more so.

mrp2049 said:
some of Levi's suggestions look great, however they aint cheap either.

Do they run on a full OS rather than the dashboard style on the iPad?

yeah I should have said, the ones I mentioned by name ALL run full os's (even the modbook) meaning you can run any program you want etc.

Personally I'd wait for a week and see what's announced at IFA (slate/tablet's galore expected) and then see what you want. Don't forget there's an apple event sept 2nd, this is iPod week but there could be 'one more thing' lol

As much as I'd love a modbook, they are unrealisitcally priced. I appreciate what goes into making them, but screw it.

I would always lean towards something with a full os, as I would rather have a full copy of photoshop over the ipad lite version that costs $100000 from the app store!

The star trek fan in me will always want some sort of tablety dodad!

Had a good look around and it seems like the best solution is still the iPad with a stylus.

Guess we would just have to wait around and see what's coming.

Back