Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invasion of the Spiders!!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Sean Lee-Amies, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Looks like it's coming to that time of year again... when those big hairy bastards invade our personal space....
    I'd like you all to meet the latest invader to my home, spotted crawling up the wall behind my PC monitor... that speaker is in the foreground, don't be fooled... it was massive.
    Meet Big Bertha:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I didn't have the balls to handle this on my own, so I resorted to giving the spider a quick 'Death by Dyson' ending. Well, I'm hoping it was ended and that it hasn't crawled out of the hoover with a raging vendetta...
    What about you guys... had any huge spiders recently...!?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

looks like a common 'huntsman spider' and thats a baby if it is.... seen them much bigger than that out my way. I normally name them something like Fred when they come in the house and just try not to step on them when they do their rounds around 9-11pm lol. As daft as this sounds I don't like picking the big huntsman spiders up, not because I'm afraid of spiders, I'm worried I'll hurt it's legs because they're not as easy to get on your hand as the small ones.
    My nan had a false widow set up home in the porch over winter, I ended up calling it archie as it was always there when I went and visited :)

3. I feel bad, because I don't like harming creatures... but I just couldn't bring myself to get it out of the room. I wish I could just pick it up and put it outside, but now that you've told me it's only a baby... I'm kind of worried there's going to be huge mother and father huntsman spiders crawling around... I'm not scared of smaller spiders, just the huge hairy ones... I don't know why either : /

4. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Ah yeah, it is definitely that time of the year again. At one point last year I was catching little spiders on an almost daily basis. My wife is terrified of them, but she will happily catch them by putting a glass over them, but she cant do the rest so there will be days I'll get home from work to find a glass randomly in the hall or living room with a spider underneath waiting for me to take him outside!

5. I normally do that with the regular sized spiders. If anyone catches a big spider make sure you get a photo and put it up here! I wonder if spiders are bigger in the north? :p

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

not from my experience, they're tiny little things up there

7. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

My closest friend is terrified of spiders. Getting 18 bites in one night from one when she was studying abroad in England didn't help. I can handle the baby ones, like common house spiders that just sit in the crease of the wall and the ceiling. But when they start getting large, I cannot. Webs I absolutely cannot do. I'm in Florida so we get different ones. My porch has webs all over it because I haven't worked up the guts to go clean them away, instead I just periodically spray spider killer.
    The hallways of my complex in my building has a bunch of daddy long legs, they don't bother me and I don't bother them.
    However, when I was walking my dog last week at 10 at night (last time I do that, he'd already been on a walk but he wanted to walk a little more) we passed a tree when I felt a web hook onto me. Thank god I had my flashlight because I was able to find the web and where it was caught on my pants, but then I also saw the massive spider that was attached to said web. I panicked and flailed. Threw my dog's leash and he just stared at me like I was nuts. Got unhooked from it, made sure the spider was still attached to the tree (he was) and went back to my apartment where I immediately put those clothes into the washing machine and hopped into the shower. Every little piece of my hair that touched my face or neck felt like the web. I was kind of a mess that night.
    Now we stay within a certain radius of my building and don't walk near trees at night where I cannot see webs.
    There's a good 1.5 incher that only comes out at night that has been living in the stairwell of my complex. I'm very close to going out there with spider killer to see if the spray can reach him. I'm scared every night of him just dropping down and falling onto my head.
    OH! At my old old job before I moved there was a wave of storms that had come through and my coworkers and I were all in our offices when we hear from one of the girls "Um.... GUYS!?!?! COME HERE!". There was a massive 5-6 inch wolf spider (I think) that had just crawled out from somewhere in her office onto her wall. It took the 3 of us girls to get the thing captured and released outside. Lots of squealing and lots of coworkers wondering what the heck was going on. When we showed them the photo of it, they were freaked out.

8. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

AHAHAHA. Think I'd need some spare trousers if that happened to be honest.
    What's so freaky about the webs? They feel weird if you walk through them, but really, if you just quickly wipe them off, it's sorted? Haha :)

9. The sympathy is strong in this one!!
    5-6 inch wolf spider you say... why didn't you use the fire alarms and get the fire service to deal with it!? haha. I don't mind webs, although when you're walking or cycling through a forest at night and every 20 seconds your face is being engulfed by a mass of webs, it can get pretty damn annoying.

10. Strangely spiders never bothered me :) I usually just pick them up and put them outside..

11. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Haha, that's the part that always worries me the most - that I'll turn around and see it's twice the size and now much angrier than before :lol:

12. Hahaha yeah I can just imagine it now... waking up with it sitting on your face, gnarling at you with its teeth dripping in venom :blink:

13. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

14. Hahaha that's great. It's amazing how much comedy can come from such simple imagery!

15. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

This is one of the biggest we've had in our house for a while. Not massive, but still, no need.

Attached Files:

16. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

My brother once got bitten by a spider here in the UK.
    He moved a doormat and the bugger (a Wolf Spider I think) jumped on his hand an bit him.
    He had a raised swelling with two puncture marks in the middle.
    If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.
    BTW. I heard somewhere that statistically we eat a couple of spiders a year in our sleep.
    Lovely. :wacko:

17. Matt Harle

Matt Harle Guest

As a man with a crippling fear of spiders (Yet a love for Spider-Man...I see the irony here), I'll be staying out of this thread, thank you!

18. I've heard that "fact" about spiders committing suicide in your intestines too, I think if I had to put money on it I'd say it wasn't true. I mean... the oesophagus isn't exactly an open tunnel now is it. It's quite sensitive too, I imagine a fair amount of regurgitating would happen if something tried to crawl down it...

19. Soprano

Soprano Member

I hate spiders, we usually get massive ones around this time of the year.
    I found one sitting in the bath the other night when I got up to do the night feed. Our bathroom light broke that day as well so it was pretty dark, I had no choice but to rinse it away down the plug hole and put the plug back in.
    The plug has been in for 3 days now. :blush:

20. Make sure you check inside the plug, if it's one of those that are hollowed out slightly... you never know, it might be hiding ;)