Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview questions

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Craig.5br, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Craig.5br

Craig.5br Member

I have a interview on Friday as a graphic designer at a agency and I'm writing my questions what they might ask me so I can answer them with out saying 'uummm'.

What sort of questions have you been asked at your interviews in the past?

Already I have written down, Why us? What can I bring? but thats where I'm stuck :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is safe to say I'm bricking it!! Biggest interview of my career so far.

2. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Its been a while since I had an interview, but what about your strengths/weaknesses?

Maybe think of an example in your past when you have solved a design problem / worked as part of a team / dealt with a difficult client.

Also, in the past Ive been asked who my design hero is and why.

p.s. good luck! hope it goes well!
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

Previous questions I've had have usually centered around the work I've shown, so reasons for doing certain things, they'll want to see your thought process behind your work, and that you have great ideas in abundance ;)

Don't forget to think of some questions to ask them, there's nothing worse than having no questions to ask back - most interviewers will love talking about their own company - so do your research on them, previous projects you could ask about, show your interest and initiative :)

Good luck!
  4. berry

berry Active Member

I interview people and find many know nothing about the agency, the work, the clients, the people or the background. Also are generally late because they havent researched where we are. Do your homework.
    Also don't endlessly talk about every bit of your portfolio. We are not stupid. Keep it brief and confident.

Questions i always ask :
    1. What will employing you bring to the agency
    2. Give me one reason why I should employ you (that i haven't heard before!)
    3.What makes you different.

Confident manner
    Don't overdress
    Firm handshake and greeting.
    Good opening introduction and thanks for the opportunity etc etc
    Don't bring endless repetition of work.
    Focus on 4 talking points in your portfolio ie 'this piece was an interesting project, I had only...... etc
    Look at the interviews eyes. When does he see something he likes? If you can spot that , expand and have dialogue.

Finally, leave them an offer they can't say no to.......... ie...'if you would like me to do a quick mockup of a logo etc' demonstrates willingness and hunger.

Good Luck
  5. Craig.5br

Craig.5br Member

Thanks for your responses, these are a great help!

Berry - How many pieces would you say to have in my portfolio, at the moment I have about 12-15. Ranging from branding, leaflets, brochures, catalogues and websites just showing a range of what I can offer.

Thanks again
  6. berry

berry Active Member

12-15 is great. have another half dozen tucked away in the sleeve incase he's hooked. or you can always say that you will pdf him some more work this afternoon as you appreciate his time is precious and didn't want to impose etc. A good ego sucking up goes far!!!
    Less is more, just don't show another brochure replicating the same skill set. If you do one brochure you can do 10.
  7. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Thanks for those nuggets, Berry.
  8. Craig.5br

Craig.5br Member

Just if anyone was interested to know how I got on, I was not successful this time. Let's hope next time I am :)

The interview was pretty short so I didn't feel very confident after that but I have asked him for a little feedback so I hope he will reply.

Thanks again for all your help.
  9. berry

berry Active Member

Sorry to hear the news Craig,

I think everyone would be very interested to hear about your interview.

How you got it, how they contacted you, who they were, how you prepared, how you were interviewed, how it was conducted, what they said, what you said, what signals were made etc.
  10. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Thread necromancy.