Intellectual property/ copyright

jordan bryce

First of all apologies if i haven't posted this in the appropriate place, still new to forum and haven't mastered the navigation.

So im looking for some advice regarding intellectual property, i was emailing with a potential client and i showed him a rough idea of a logo for his band. he got back to me and said he'd show the band my work in progress, he then said he'd purchase it, after haggling the price down he got back to me and said he was unable to purchase it.

then a few hours later the band updated their Facebook page with a new logo, visibly ripped off from my concept.
attached are the photos of both logos, do i have any sort of claim here ? is the slight differences enough to get them off the hook? luna 3.jpg luna ripoff.jpg
the first image is mines, the image with the black moustache is the rip-off.

Did you use a contract? No?

You probably don't have much to go on here, but, it's a valuable lesson and that is 'don't work on spec'. Use a contract and take a deposit up front. Never provide design for free unless you're making a humorous point on a forum.

Look on the bright side. You could have lost a lot more time and effort.

first place where you went wrong... showing the client ideas prior to getting payment or contract in place.

You 'might' have some legal standing if everything was via email but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hi Guys

Thanks for feedback, you've pretty much confirmed what i thought anyways... lesson learned for next time.

Back