Instant Quote Contact Form

tim

Hey guys,

My latest client wants an instant quote contain form... like this

They're a taxi firm, and they want their clients to come online, type in or select their postcode and time and get a quote.

Any ideas how this can be done?

Well as Chris says you could handcode it with PHP but it would take a lot of logic and code due to the amount of factors to be considered.

If you could explain what exactly the factors are a little more then we may be able to guide you as to whether it would be reasonably easy or hard to get it done.

The postcode malarky will be the expensive bit, trying to work out the distance will involve other peoples technology I should think.

Questions to answer are as such:

• Is the postcode / cost going to be linear (as in will the distance be calculated from the same spot each time (their premises) or will it be from other factors like where they are at the moment?
  • How will the time affect it? Will it be time brackets or will there be an equation that will work out the cost depending on the hour and minute required?
  • Are their any other factors in the costing?

It shouldnt be too difficult and a nice project to learn some useful stuff:

You need variables from the client:
Where are they from where are they going? So you need their pick up point and their destination - send to application to calcute distance.
What time do they want to travel? So put up a date-picker and time and you've got their time of travel.

and variables/constants from taxi firm:
What do they charge per mile (pence per mile), do they charge extra on-peak/off-peak and do they charge more over a certain distance, do they charge to return to depot if long distance (extra costs)

So we have: distance x pence per mile = quoted cost
or if time of day = on-peak: distance x (pence per mile + extra costs) = quoted cost

Dead, dead simple but really effective if you can source the data you need properly, the data might be worth paying for, but this link looks useful on the face of it. Distance Between Full UK Postcodes

Or this Google maps calculates distances.

This sounds like a great project please let us know how it develops and post back if you need help.

lol NO idea how to code that, but thanks for the info.

Out of interest Mike, how much would you charge for this project?

About a grand if they are a wealthy company (as this might be more realistic, timewise) but you have to swing with the punches sometimes and do it for cheap if they haven't much money. This would be a good example for a portfolio so you have to think of that too.

I'd be interested to see what other people would quote too...

Yeah I thought about that too.

They have nowhere near that budget though, but would still be a good side project I guess.

Deffo, it would be quite an impressive thing to say you have done and to get your feet wet with php or whatever they are using server side if you've got the time.

Good luck with it and as I said it would be great if you posted your progress and ask here for help if you need.

Back