Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instant Death on Airlines

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Jan 21, 2009.

1. berry

berry Active Member

I was told a disturbing fact by someone today which i thought I'd share to see if anyone else knew of this, in light of the recent Hudson River Incident.

On an airline journey when you are asked to asume the 'Brace' position. It is not for your safety but because the position will create an 'instant quick death' by snapping the neck backwards.
    Also the hidden facial position protects the jaw and teeth from severe damage, therefore making identification of the person easier, especially if there is fire and facial disfigurement.

Anyone got any further light on these facts/info
  2. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Is that actually true? - something along those lines is quoted in the film fight club, along with "the reason oxygen masks drop down is oxygen gets you high, so your euphoric"
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

Most experts will say that maximum protection for a forward facing seat is when the passenger is able to pre-position their head on the surface they are likely to impact (e.g., seatback or bulkhead), as the risk of head trauma is significantly reduced during the crash. Reducing head trauma may also help the passenger stay conscious, which is also essential for rapid evacuation after the crash.

According to Wikipedia it's a myth Berry...
  4. berry

berry Active Member

Somehow this whole thing has made me feel kind of uncomfortable.
  5. tim

tim Senior Member

either way, have you ever been on a plane that's fallen to the ground?

it doesn't happen at all often, and if it did, I'm be so much happier if I died quickly rather than floating dehydrated in a shark infested sea. (obvs not in the case of NY incident tho :D)
  6. Greg

Greg Active Member

I know what you mean, after reading some more information on it, there's no real definitive facts either way, I guess it's kind of hard for them to simulate the event with crash dummies and such as the forces must be so great.

On a more positive note, I prefer to read and believe this fact, "the odds of being killed on a single trip in an airliner accident is 52.6 million to 1".
  7. berry

berry Active Member

No...but I've watch thousands of films that did!;)
  8. tim

tim Senior Member

lol, too true :D
  9. berry

berry Active Member

It's the queezy fact that somebody is preparing me to leave this mortal coil and to help someone identify whats left of me and I'm thinking I'm in the safest position i could be in the current circumstances.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Well I wasn't planning on flying anywhere in the near future and let's just hope that by the time I do I have already forgotten this topic :rolleyes: