Instagram Copyright

JFKdefector

Hey everyone,

I have recently finished a project for college in which I made various advertisement materials for SMHAF (Scottish Mental Health Art Festival) and their logo is implemented on them. Am I able to upload these pieces to my digital portfolio on Instagram?

It isn’t their ‘exact’ logo as I could not find a vector form and therefore image traced it as best I could.

Appreciate the feedback,
Lewis

Technically SMHAF (or the person who originally designed it...depends on contract) own the copyright/trademark to their logo so unless you have permission to use it you shouldn't really upload it imo. Technically, unless they're associated with the course project, even using it there isn't allowed either, although I doubt much will come of it.

I suppose you can make it clear that you did not design the logo etc in the text but personally I wouldn't upload anything I don't have the rights to and that's ignoring the 'ownership' that instagram takes of work uploaded to their site.

Technically SMHAF (or the person who originally designed it...depends on contract) own the copyright/trademark to their logo so unless you have permission to use it you shouldn't really upload it imo. Technically, unless they're associated with the course project, even using it there isn't allowed either, although I doubt much will come of it.

I suppose you can make it clear that you did not design the logo etc in the text but personally I wouldn't upload anything I don't have the rights to and that's ignoring the 'ownership' that instagram takes of work uploaded to their site.
Thank you!
I agree, I’m not going to post it as I believe you are correct. The college/SQA use projects like that a lot, in terms of choosing a client and designing for them.
What are your thoughts on removing the logo from each piece and posting?
The problem there is the text used is taken from the Mental Health Foundation website, and they are the parent company of SMHAF. But it does not directly link them or SMHAF within it.

You could always try and get permission from SMHAF directly, after all it will be free advertising for them.

Otherwise, how about just changing the logo to a fictitious one, which the college should have suggested in the first place anyway.

What are your thoughts on removing the logo from each piece and posting?
The problem there is the text used is taken from the Mental Health Foundation website, and they are the parent company of SMHAF. But it does not directly link them or SMHAF within it.
I'd probably suggest doing what Wardy said as well. Get in touch with them first, say it's something important to you and you decided to do this as your project on your course and then see if they're ok about you showing the work and linking back to them etc. They might be ok with it so no harm in checking before doing anything, if they're not then you can rework the design and text to not include references.

Thank you guys, I appreciate the feedback!
I’ll give them a message and see what happens, I’ll keep you updated :)
Lewis

Back