Inspired by Rolex instagram video

Probably a combination of hyper-realistic vector layers that then have a sketch effect added in After Effects. You could use alpha masks to load in the sections as though they're being drawn. If you can identify what's happening in each section then you can probably find a tutorial on how to do it. Then you just piece the methods together.

Thank you for your reply! Appreciate it :)!

So you think it's just multiple vector layers in illustrator where they save almost everytime they draw a line and put all these pictures together in After Effects with a sketch effect? :)

It just looks like a pencil drawing slowly merged with a vector/photo. Erase a bit of the pencil drawing and save it
however many times and then reverse it in After Effects?

It just looks like a pencil drawing slowly merged with a vector/photo. Erase a bit of the pencil drawing and save it
however many times and then reverse it in After Effects?

Hey Wardy,

Makes sense. How is the pencil drawing made? Is that in illustrator you think?

Are you serious?! With a pencil and paper of course! :)

It's possible it could be done with a special effect, like Paul says, but you would still need
a line art version of the watch to start with.

Are you serious?! With a pencil and paper of course! :)

It's possible it could be done with a special effect, like Paul says, but you would still need
a line art version of the watch to start with.

Hehe okay, sorry i'm new to this so I have no idea what kind of equipment you can get for illustrator. I thought maybe it could be made with a drawing pad or something like that.

So you draw it in your hand and scan it and image trace it in illustrator and go from there :)?

No image tracing, Illustrator probably isn't even involved. Pencil drawing>scan>Photoshop>erase>save each time etc.
That looks like a photo to me, so find a really nice photo and gradually erase parts of that too with an airbrush (Ps of course) and save each time.
Then reverse the lot and put everything together in After Effects or whatever (never used it myself).

Back