Inspirational Logo for an Inspirational Blog

Hey Designers,
If you read my hello thread you'll know that I'm currently trying to get an inspirational blog off the ground that praises talented designers such as yourselves and creates a goldmine of inspiration for visitors to the site who are most likely to be designers, such as yourselves also :)

Anyway I thought I'd try to set a challenge and see if anyone wanted to create an inspiring logo for the Twitter account that will link to the blog? If you're happy with me using your artwork as the Twitter profile logo I'll include your work in a blog article to give you some praise in exchange.

Loving this forum so far, so many inspirational designers about the place.

If you feel you're up to the challenge please post your creations in this thread.

Inspiring Print
@inspiringprint

lol... thats just a fancy way of trying to get some free crowdsourcing... you can't even see the site without getting an invite so a post there would be worth absolutely nothing lol

thanks but I'll pass

So if you remove all of the superfluous information here it really boils down to the following: You want someone to do work for you but you don't want to pay them.

It's not a professional challenge if the professionals involved are out of pocket for participating.. I wouldn't send off an email to BMW, Mercedes, VW etc saying "Hi guys, I'm launching a competition to see who can design the best car!! If yours is the winning entry then I'll give you some minor marketing on a brand new blog with limited credibility and as of yet no readers! You would be crazy to pass up on this challenge!"

Hmm, sorry but no.

Levi said:
lol... thats just a fancy way of trying to get some free crowdsourcing... you can't even see the site without getting an invite so a post there would be worth absolutely nothing lol

thanks but I'll pass
It's strange the blog should be visible to all I haven't put any restrictions on it. I guess it is kind of crowd sourcing. I've literally just set it up because I'm a big fan of cool design so I'm displaying peoples works that I think need appreciating by those looking to be inspired.

Squiddy said:
So if you remove all of the superfluous information here it really boils down to the following: You want someone to do work for you but you don't want to pay them.

It's not a professional challenge if the professionals involved are out of pocket for participating.. I wouldn't send off an email to BMW, Mercedes, VW etc saying "Hi guys, I'm launching a competition to see who can design the best car!! If yours is the winning entry then I'll give you some minor marketing on a brand new blog with limited credibility and as of yet no readers! You would be crazy to pass up on this challenge!"

Hmm, sorry but no.
Squiddy you make a fair point but they're huge profitable organisations where as I just want this to be a hub for designers to draw inspiration from. You'd probably more inclined to participate if I were to say that it had a million hits a day or something like that but sadly it doensn't...maybe one day. I'll create my own design if this thread causes that much of an issue and ask the same question later on down the line when my readership is higher. I just thought it might help out a designer as well as the blog. Apologies if it offended.

So, what you're saying is that because they are huge companies that earn lots of money, it would be wrong to expect someone to work for them free of charge whereas for you, on the opposite end of the spectrum who is small and makes no money, it is therefore reasonable to expect free labour?

I don't think anyone is getting particularly offended, I'm just trying to explain to you why no one will take you up on your offer and why it's not the great deal you seem to be preaching. Even your initial post seems quite fake and self serving if I'm completely honest with you. Inspirational designers? That's quite a strong degree of praise, what work have you seen by which people that has led you to this opinion?

Sorry, but you're going to need to do more than dish out flattering statements and empty challenges if you want people here to do free work!!

Squiddy said:
So, what you're saying is that because they are huge companies that earn lots of money, it would be wrong to expect someone to work for them free of charge whereas for you, on the opposite end of the spectrum who is small and makes no money, it is therefore reasonable to expect free labour?

I don't think anyone is getting particularly offended, I'm just trying to explain to you why no one will take you up on your offer and why it's not the great deal you seem to be preaching. Even your initial post seems quite fake and self serving if I'm completely honest with you. Inspirational designers? That's quite a strong degree of praise, what work have you seen by which people that has led you to this opinion?

Sorry, but you're going to need to do more than dish out flattering statements and empty challenges if you want people here to do free work!!
Fair point. Maybe its better just to ask people if they would like any of their best work showcased that has been used for print as part of a Forums Friday feature I'd like to create. That's ultimately what I'm looking for anyway.

Well it sounds like you've got some nice things planned for the future, I wish you all the best of luck with it :)

If you do want to hire someone to do your site for you properly then I'm sure there are more than a few people here who would like to help you out for a reasonable rate. I imagine you are probably going to wait and see if the other forums you've asked in return any results first though ;)

inspiringprint said:
Fair point. Maybe its better just to ask people if they would like any of their best work showcased that has been used for print as part of a Forums Friday feature I'd like to create. That's ultimately what I'm looking for anyway.
or you could just offer up some money, you know designers like to get paid :up:

Based purely upon his lexicon/vocabulary I would be willing to bet that he is fairly young and as such monetary compensation might be out of the question.

Squiddy said:
I would be willing to bet that he is fairly young and as such monetary compensation might be out of the question.
Well best they get a job so they can pay for stuff then, the business world basically revolves around money :up:

No way, Levi are you telling us that business revolves around money?! You should be a teacher or something man. ;)

Squiddy said:
No way, Levi are you telling us that business revolves around money?! You should be a teacher or something man. ;)
nah we all know that business revolves around free work, tea and biscuits :p

I might rename myself to Sherlock!

Don't worry about it, if you're not one of those people with bank account parents, just get a part-time job when you can and do your own thing on the side. Unfortunately you are going to need some capital or funding to start up in business and if it's a website business you want to run then I would strongly advise against skimping on your main asset, the website.

Squiddy said:
I might rename myself to Sherlock!

Don't worry about it, if you're not one of those people with bank account parents, just get a part-time job when you can and do your own thing on the side. Unfortunately you are going to need some capital or funding to start up in business and if it's a website business you want to run then I would strongly advise against skimping on your main asset, the website.
Thanks Squiddy. Not really sure if its a business lol its a blog. However, I really appreciate the feedback and I'll keep writing some quality content. Fingers crossed it's quality in the eyes of my readers :). By the way I don't know if you guys are into competition stuff but I got this in my news feed yesterday I'm going to share it on the forum in case anyone else wants to enter Win £500 of Amazon.co.uk Vouchers in the Solopress Video Competition | Solopress. I'll be making a 2D animation for it :)

Well the way I see it, you're providing an informational service of which there are many that follow business models, hire writers, designers and professionals from their niche to interview and promote all in the name of business.

Business isn't just about a person or group of people looking to sell products or services to make money. If you want your blog to succeed it needs to look professional, be reliable and able handle the bandwidth as well as have decent content. You don't get all that for free. If you don't want all that then it can only mean that you're running the blog in a half arsed manner!

Fair enough if this is only a hobby, but no one is going to visit your site on a regular basis if it's hosted on slow and unreliable servers that can't handle the traffic, or looks like it was designed by a blind 10 year old in MS Paint. I presume that you aren't doing all this entirely for your own benefit and that there is in fact a desire to expand your audience, otherwise you surely wouldn't be doing it? ;)

Back