Inspiration Lunch

god what is it with you and that website layout, haven't all you links been the same style of website just with different people.

As to the work - can't really say its inspirational to be honest

very cold dude. . . . might be inspiratinal to others. . .

as for the layout, well its all about the work so works in my book and for the record, it is not a coincidence that the guys who always win prestigious awards, conduct design research and contribute to the design community on a daily basis have similar websites.

But you are free to voice your opinion ofcourse, so thanks for the input.

Vanya

13faces said:
as for the layout, well its all about the work so works in my book and for the record, it is not a coincidence that the guys who always win prestigious awards, conduct design research and contribute to the design community on a daily basis have similar websites.

I've never heard of them, I haven't seen them contribute to the design community on a daily basis either.
Awards don't mean the designs are any good, it just means they've been able to please the judges.

I don't think Vanya meant this design community specifically but more the design industry as a whole(?). As for the website layout, Indexhibit is a popular choice for print designers looking to get their portfolio/work examples online in a simple manner, for those with little interest/knowledge in web design it's a quick and inexpensive route to some form of online folio/presence :)

Bit too minimalist for my liking :( but each to their own.

@ Levi* ah dude, I am not going to have another debate about design culture.

take it or leave it, it doesnt matter. But I would appreciate if you didnt spam the posts with negative/personal attacks. It is not constructive nor is it even subjective. It is just spam . . .

Regards

Vanya

Greg said:
I don't think Vanya meant this design community specifically but more the design industry as a whole(?). As for the website layout, Indexhibit is a popular choice for print designers looking to get their portfolio/work examples online in a simple manner, for those with little interest/knowledge in web design it's a quick and inexpensive route to some form of online folio/presence :)
yes, as a whole . . . its not my fault they use indexhibit hehehe

Cheers Greg

um excuse me, I have not made a personal attack on you, I commented on the fact that just about every inspirational site (and your portfolio) you have linked to uses the same bland non inspirational indexhibit style. This one hasn't even got a decent font or logo.

If you take it as a personal attack when someone disagrees with you about something which is design based and as such very much down to individual interpretation and taste then you really need to get a grip on reality as that is very rarely the case.

Besides IF I wanted to make a personal attack on someone I would make it very clear that the post was aimed in that way, I have not to the best of my knowledge personally attacked anyone on this or any other forum and I actually find it offensive (as you are trying to tarnishing my name for no reason) that you are saying I have done so.

And for the record a forum by definition is a place of debate and as such positive and negative comments will be raised about any topic of conversation.

As to me spamming your posts, you could argue that you are in fact trying to advertise a company with these 'inspiration' posts and as such the initial post could be seen as spam, you should be very careful in the use of the word spam as it can easily be applied to any thread that links to a company.

@Greg - I assumed it was the world at large not this community, my comment still stands as I've never heard of them or actually seen any of the work anywhere other than the link.

ok, my appologies . . . not a personal attack or spam. Just negative for no reason, it is just a website. And the inspiration is not ment to come from the web design, only the work.

In my opinion a design company that has a flashy and over designed website/brand is like a man with a beard . . . looks like he has something to hide!

Also design is not about "individual interpretation and taste", it is exactly the opposite. It is about Mass interpretation and Mass communication. . . what you are talking about applies to the more artistic executions. I think you really need to just take a look at some of the work and notice the details in typography* (not fonts, come on we are designers) layout, colour, compositions and so on.

Who gives a dahm what their website looks like when the work on show is top notch????

Also, when you direct a comment that starts with "what is it with you and . . . " it is pretty personal (in my opinion).

Anyway, no harm done . . . but if you take a bit of time just looking before reacting you might come away with something.

13faces said:
ok, my appologies . . . not a personal attack or spam. Just negative for no reason, it is just a website. And the inspiration is not ment to come from the web design, only the work.
the work did not inspire me and the website even less so.

In my opinion a design company that has a flashy and over designed website/brand is like a man with a beard . . . looks like he has something to hide!
it works both ways, a site that is too simple can make it look as though they have no design ability or brand, also if they're using the exact same template for a site as other designers then they need to add something for it to be remembered.

Also design is not about "individual interpretation and taste", it is exactly the opposite. It is about Mass interpretation and Mass communication. . . what you are talking about applies to the more artistic executions. I think you really need to just take a look at some of the work and notice the details in typography* (not fonts, come on we are designers) layout, colour, compositions and so on.
even in a mass of people individual interpretations are present, to assume otherwise is just plain daft.
Who gives a dahm what their website looks like when the work on show is top notch????
as I said I didn't think much of the work

Also, when you direct a comment that starts with "what is it with you and . . . " it is pretty personal (in my opinion).
Maybe I should have put a question mark on re-reading, either way it still reads more as a question/statement rather than a personal attack.
Anyway, no harm done . . . but if you take a bit of time just looking before reacting you might come away with something.
I did the first time and I still didn't think much of it, especially considering the site itself states that some was done during their academic years and in my opinion (not being big headed or anything) it does look like something I would have seen at my uni on their ba design courses.

I agree with levi completely, the work is 'ok', the way it is presented shows me someone who doesnt feel strongly about their work and so they just use a cheaper alternative.

Fractures from anxiety for a good example of their work doesn't even come close to matching some of the penguin books for our competition, so how is it inspirational?!

why are we flaming.

design is personal. you cant say that someone's inspiration is bollocks just because you disagree with the style.

if you dont like, DONT REPLY!?

Didnt mean to come across as flaming the OP
but the OP did say that this is about mass interpretation not about the personal take on things.
And we didnt say it wasnt inspirational to them, I asked how is it, levi said it wasnt to him....

Replys are what make a forum?

yeah, but why have a forum if everyone just flames and flames.

leave it, anyway. these threads are why we get so many guests that dont turn into members- because for some reason we take first opportunity to take em down.

oh, and i wasnt saying you did anything, i was actually refering to levi, not because his opinion is bollocks, just because there was no real need to reply in such a manner.

Tim, my main posts later in this thread were down to the fact that I was being accused of a personal attack on someone which I had not done.

Now I don't know about you but I will not accept anyone (on a forum or in real life) accusing me of something I have not done for no reason, especially in a situation where other people can see it.

I did not like the work that was shown, it did not inspire me (and by the looks of it a few others too), and I commented on the fact that all the sites that the op has posted links to use the same template for a layout, in my view my opinion was valid and there was no issue with my posts.

If someone wants a thread with only positive comments what is the point of posting it on a forum full of designers that WILL have differing opinions of what is good or bad. The whole point of a forum is that its full of differing views, it would be a very dull site if every post was followed by ooohh thats lovely and no real opinions.

Back