Inspiration from art: Hush at Opus, Newcastle

M

mrleesimpson

Before I even thought about being a graphic designer I always got a huge buzz from street art and graffiti. Over the past 5-6 years art has given me so much inspiration and in the early days my style was very close to the art that I saw.

Today I went to check out the awesome work by Newcastle artist Hush at the Opus gallery in Gosforth which inspired me as always.

My experience in working with artists (especially urban artists) is that as they mature they move into more contemporary art or in a lot of cases design, however what makes Hush different is that he is a designer that has moved into art.

Hush is an urban artist who worked in Hong Kong for a number of years as a graphic designer/Illustrator before recently returning to the UK. His popularity is soaring, with a sell out London show, alongside high profile street pieces, sold out print runs and collaborations. With shows coming up in London and LA, Hush draws his influence from a wide variety of modern culture to create his work. His main interests being graphic-novels, animation, graphic-design, graffiti art, urban art and contemporary painting.

He has worked as a graphic designer & illustrator / art director in London, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Hong Kong where he worked for a few of the largest Toy companies in the world.

Hush studied Graphic Design & Illustrator at Newcastle school of Art & Design for 5 years. Since graduating in 1995 his work has been featured in numerous selected exhibitions in London, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Edinburgh and Newcastle. Now and again you might still see Hush on a wall in your city.

More photos here.

3008945586_7875304ba4.jpg

3008942920_b42678e679.jpg

3008102861_aa3fe3a4b4.jpg

3008100511_d7fa617c5a.jpg

Nice photos Lee, these look really cool, I like the combination of the different elements of the Lichtenstein style text and dotted backgrounds with the graffiti/street stuff and I would guess anime style line drawings, they give some really interesting effects and compositions. How are the final pieces actually assembled Lee are they like collages, layered up with different textures?

Greg said:
How are the final pieces actually assembled Lee are they like collages, layered up with different textures?

Spot on. Mostly hand drawn elements with some printed stuff, then they're hand finished with spray paint, marker pen and tea bags!

Tea bags!? Never would have guessed that, is that just to give them an aged effect?
So will all these pieces be sold on, is the exhibition a commercial one? or just purely for exhibition?

Greg said:
Tea bags!? Never would have guessed that, is that just to give them an aged effect?
So will all these pieces be sold on, is the exhibition a commercial one? or just purely for exhibition?

All for sale. Good prices too.

About £7k for the larger ones and £2k for the smaller ones. There was some prints aswell for £300.

Might sound like a lot but it really isn't.

Back