Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspiration from art: Hush at Opus, Newcastle

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by mrleesimpson, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Before I even thought about being a graphic designer I always got a huge buzz from street art and graffiti. Over the past 5-6 years art has given me so much inspiration and in the early days my style was very close to the art that I saw.

Today I went to check out the awesome work by Newcastle artist Hush at the Opus gallery in Gosforth which inspired me as always.

My experience in working with artists (especially urban artists) is that as they mature they move into more contemporary art or in a lot of cases design, however what makes Hush different is that he is a designer that has moved into art.

More photos here.

2. thomashodgson

thomashodgson Senior Member

Ooh-err saucy!

I like the paper texture though.
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

Nice photos Lee, these look really cool, I like the combination of the different elements of the Lichtenstein style text and dotted backgrounds with the graffiti/street stuff and I would guess anime style line drawings, they give some really interesting effects and compositions. How are the final pieces actually assembled Lee are they like collages, layered up with different textures?
  4. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

Spot on. Mostly hand drawn elements with some printed stuff, then they're hand finished with spray paint, marker pen and tea bags!
  5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Tea bags!? Never would have guessed that, is that just to give them an aged effect?
    So will all these pieces be sold on, is the exhibition a commercial one? or just purely for exhibition?
  6. mrleesimpson

mrleesimpson Guest

All for sale. Good prices too.

About £7k for the larger ones and £2k for the smaller ones. There was some prints aswell for £300.

Might sound like a lot but it really isn't.