Inktober 2018

Jimlad

Jimlad

Anyone participating this year? If you don't know what Inktober is...

All caught up? Great! Here are some of my submissions so far. I've been using the prompts but with a skeleton character theme running through.

Inktober 2018, , Illustration Forum: Inktober 2018, , Illustration Forum: Inktober 2018, , Illustration Forum: Inktober 2018, , Illustration Forum: Inktober 2018, , Illustration Forum:

scotty

scotty

Staff member
Loving these Jim in a kind of "less is more" kind of way.

Hope you're going to keep posting them as you do them?

Wardy

Wardy

Great stuff Jim, all credit to you.

Never had a go myself, but I'm going to check out those pens he uses!

Jimlad

Jimlad

Thanks guys. Here's my latest one, had to break away from the skull character for "Precious"

Inktober 2018, , Illustration Forum:

One thing I am finding is that having to do more drawings quickly is making me learn more things quickly. 7 hours spent on a digital painting I deem "good" can offer a few lessons, but having to smash these out is forcing me to think less and just draw... which is making me have to solve problems I wouldn't normally put myself through. How the hell DO you represent rocks with just a few lines? How can I make the line art look like a finished piece where colour would be a mere bonus rather than something I use to fix problems in the sketch? Stuff like that :D

scotty

scotty

Staff member
I can really see the benefit of doing Inktober as it forces you to draw and all what you said above.

Sometimes when I get a project that makes me do a lot of actual drawing/sketching I tend to groan a bit but I soon realise what I've been missing.
Mailed the water BTW. :D

Maarten de Haas

Maarten de Haas

@Jimlad Although a little too little time this year, maybe next year. I like the idea of inktober. Thinks for posting the video so I finally know what it is since everybody is posting on inktober everywhere. It's just briljant it became so huge all over the world now!

Jimlad

Jimlad

So yeah as you may have guessed, I couldn't dedicate time to doing the whole challenge. Work and life did what they often do. I did learn a few things though, and got some good practice in with my line work. I think next year instead of doing really quick pictures every day that lack any kind of complexity, maybe I should spend the month working on one large scene that has spots dedicated to each daily prompt... food for thought.