Inkjet Printing Problem

marklogan

I am printing some leaflets out on some HP 180 glossy paper using an inkjet printer. For some reason when I'm printing white text on black background, the colour seems to be bleeding in certain areas. Some of the white text is fine whereas in other areas on the same black background, using the same weight text etc the text seems to have a pink cast to it.

Do you think this is a printer problem or could it be the paper? It is supposed to be for printing flyers etc. I have some magenta text in places also for headers which seems to be bleeding into the black a little.

I've got a feeling it'd work better if I got them printed professionally than try it at home

It's rubbish paper or you're using the wrong side.

And I assume you're using a hp printer and ink with the hp paper?

You get what you pay for with inks and paper, I've found. If you're using cheap inks or paper, average to bad results are the likely outcome. Otherwise, I'd try simply cleaning the printheads and checking the alignment if you haven't already.

He's not sure how many he wants yet. Maybe 200. I think it's the paper. I've printed it out on normal plain paper and the white text works fine so it seems to be when I set it to glossy on the printer settings.

I'm actually using an Epson printer and ink but with HP glossy paper. Never really thought anything of it and maybe that's why it aint working.

Cheers for the info lads

Might end up cheaper sourcing a print reseller, I started out trying it that way, printing 100s and getting problems here and there, spending unnecessary money.

marklogan said:
I'm actually using an Epson printer and ink but with HP glossy paper.

there's the issue, they use different ink types (can't remember exactly what is different though lol) and so the paper coating is different. If you can get epson paper you should be fine.

I have an epson too, with epson ink, and almost always use epson paper... but if it's genuinely high quality paper just from another company, would it really make THAT drastic a printing difference Levi? Fair enough if he was using ASDA Photo Paper lol (I got some of that as a gift once!) but I'm skeptical that using HP glossy in an Epson printer would cause massive amounts of colour bleeding. Having said that, I always get better results if I use all the same company for printer/ink/paper so maybe you're right.

I wonder if the print settings are correct. Maybe playing around with them might encourage the Epson printer and the HP paper to play nicely? On the other hand it might be cheaper to do what Ben said.

It can make a huge difference with epson.

Like I said it's to do with the formula for their ink, I think (at basic level) epson use a pigment that sits on the paper while canon/hp use an ink that soaks into the paper. So epson would have a coating that will stop the print from soaking in and thus spreading while canon/hp have a coating that allows it to soak in.

In this case the epson ink is soaking into the hp paper and then spreading out where as if it was on epson paper it would sit on top of the paper so to speak.

Back