Initial Logo Idea

theking79

This is for a brief to design a logo for the summer Visit Birmingham (UK) campaign.

The main appeal of the city is its diversity and the vast array of cultures.

I was thinking to make variations of this idea, with different colours/styles, the logo is meant to represent the cities energy and youthfulness (one of the brand values/criteria in the brief is "Energizing Experiences")

ScreenShot2012-02-02at205159.png

ScreenShot2012-02-02at204954.png

not bad really, I prefer it without the white block in the B. I would also think about the visit aspect and so go with something like an arrow following the contours of the B made up of 4-5 different colours

its a good idea but there's a lot of colour clashing going on, the middle section of the colours looks brown and doesnt look great, try switching the colours around a bit. I think doing it this way could be hard as getting the right colour combinations could be a nightmare, but it could pay off once done properly

Without raining on the parade (which has shown some strong results) is this a live job?

I have dealt with lots of government/visit/tourism people now, and they aren't very happy with the idea of people seeing the work in progress, as it can damage the campaign launch. Just a thought.

It's not a live brief, it is a competition brief for Birmingham Universities and colleges, similar to the D&AD concept but obviously not as big or prestigious.

Another concept here

Just a note on the concept, there are 5 colours in the multicoloured one, these 5 colours represent Culture, shopping, sport, food and nighlife.

There will be a one coloured version of the logo using the colour which is attached to one of the 5 main points noted above.

The big problem with this concept is that the "visit birmingham" text is not readable in the black and white version of the logo, so it has to be changed slightly.

ScreenShot2012-02-15at203702.png

ScreenShot2012-02-15at204429.png

Example of how the tourism guides would look, although these are likely to change, just experimenting with the brand identity as a whole.

I will eventually change the striped building to more resemble those of Birmingham.

ScreenShot2012-02-16at003907.png

much better, only thing I would say is that the font weight could be bigger, at the minute it doesnt stand out enough from the stripes. Use of colours are much better, really work this time, i think you're on to something here! good job

I like how this concept has developed. From the first post it's become more refined.

I agree with BenJones the text needs to pop a little more and the change in text position with the B/W logo is problematic.
I'd try giving a little blank space around the text. Try cutting the lines that go through the text to let it breathe a little. I don't think it would hurt the overall impact of the identity.
You might want to play around with a few more typographic solutions too. I'm not sure if breaking and stacking 'Birmingham' is the solution. It works well with some words, but I'm not sure it's appropriate in this case as 'Birmingham' is the most important factor in this design. I'd do as much as I can to make that the clearest element of the identity.

I'm sorry but I really don't like the latest design, it looks rather old fashioned to me, I much preferred the first one.

I have to agree with Krey though, I don't like how the word Birmingham has been stacked - as was pointed out it is the most important part of this design, the design should pay homage to that.

It might just be me, but isn't the colour spectrum version a little bit 'gay pride'?

Also, if your going down the skyline route, would be good to see some bham landmarks rather than generic building shapes.

It is good to see this moving forward though.

Looks great love the choice in font, bold and friendly, maybe add an arrown in there but to be fare it's rocking

Back