Infuriating day...

Hello
I have had one of those mother of all days. I am 2 1/2 months into my probation into my new job. My boss wanted to rebrand his business he liked my work yesterday and today hates it with a passion.
He then proceeds and started saying if I used ------- Design they would give him a design he would like instantly (they designed the existing logo and he doesn't like it). He continues and says if he see something he likes he will go with it, he never gave me a proper brief. Starts blaming me because I said the existing wouldn't work on the web and claims I "forced" the logo change on them (even though I used their existing logo in its entirety rather than the cropped version). I then say that I never asked to reshape the logo and that the logo for the website is perfectly OK (the cropped version can be flexible enough to use on other items. I'm getting that feeling that he is deliberately being awkward so that I would resign to save him the hassle of sacking me (even though I have done nothing wrong). What on Earth do I do now? Very confused.

Not sure why the boss of a company would go to the effort of recruiting someone and then be deliberately difficult to try to make the new employee leave?

The boss doesn't want to tell bungle to go at the end of the probabtion period, perhaps. Easier for him if the bungle resigns.

It just seems odd that one day he thought the logo was "progress" and was liking it. The next minute he's not so keen. I'm not surprised the logo is not what he is after if he is giving mixed messages and not giving a proper brief.

Are you sure the boss is the same guy? It could be identical twins. One loves it, the other hates it, but from your perspective it's the same person giving you mixed reactions.

It just seems odd that one day he thought the logo was "progress" and was liking it. The next minute he's not so keen. I'm not surprised the logo is not what he is after if he is giving mixed messages and not giving a proper brief.

If you don't have a proper brief shouldn't you be telling him that he needs to sit down with you for the purposes of drawing one up? The likelihood of hitting on something he likes increases massively if he can make the time to work out what that might be rather than setting you up for failure by leaving you poking around in the dark.

OK I have now sat it out for a while, nothing has transpired from this other than the childish smattering of picking holes in my ability and apparently my choice of food that I heat in the microwave *sigh*. Considering now resigning but more concerned with the jobs that are available now. Any thoughts?

This all sounds a little too familiar, I had a similar shitty job. Your best off out of it it will only get you down and as someone on here said (Arrivals) I do design because I like it, if you don't like it move some where else. I have had some ups and downs but honestly I'm never sad that my shit head of a boss thought we had a 'personally clash' (he was a massive knob head :)) and didn't renew my contract because who wants to work in a shitty place like that anyway! :) chin up:)

I did a secret recording of them talking on my mobile and all they seem to do is bitch about me. My boss also admitted that he has said things about me indirectly, I remember vividly him talking to a colleague in front of me "it's better than it was" implying my efforts weren't good. I told him this was dis-respectful and unprofessional. I'm at that point now where I am just here for the money and am slightly concerned that with my resignation I may not be able to find another job so quickly.

I would actively seek another job but don't resign.
My boss caught me towards the end of the day and said "We need to have a chat on Monday". The final nail.
I have been feeling a little despondent and totally unenthusiastic about this company and I guess it was partly my own fault for not researching them hard enough. Onwards and upwards!!

I did a secret recording of them talking on my mobile ...

The old Jerry Lewis trick? (Hi, Seinfeld fans!). You didn't really do that did you?

... I told him this was dis-respectful and unprofessional.

I sympathise with the crappiness of your situation and I don't want to take a cheap shot or anything but I'd be wary of bandying words like that around in public when I'm involved in a highly unethical activity like making covert recordings of my colleagues' private conversations.

When things deteriorate to this kind of level, I reckon it's probably time to move on.

The old Jerry Lewis trick? (Hi, Seinfeld fans!). You didn't really do that did you?

Yes. I was in the meeting at the time and it was only when I left that they then started to slag me off
My colleague has put forward an idea for the company logo (which I was asked to do and is now in the process of being rolled out) behind my back who then showed it to me. I had a meeting with my boss and asked him why this has happened, he claimed that this was just an idea that he did at the weekend out of boredom. He has just sent an email (inadvertently) to me saying that he would like a meeting to progress it further in front of the whole company.

sounds unbelievably like my old place of work! not entirely sure of the rules, but are you allowed to name and shame the company? just so no one else gets the misfortune of working for them!?

Happy to. Action Press in Burgess Hill, West Sussex. I was pulled into their office today to be told I am made redundant with an immediate effect. Even though the probationary period was three months and I was there for five. My contract clearly states "Less than 1 month's service - nil. 1 month's service to the satisfactory completion of your probationary period - 1 month...". They are giving me one weeks pay and offered to use me on a freelance basis as and when.

They claimed that their finances has suffered a big loss over a long period. I quickly responded "Why employ someone if you can't afford to?" They were hoping that because I worked for a London agency that I would bring those clients with me. I think not!

Back