Infuriating day...

You are entitiled to the one month's pay/notice. Tell them you'll take them to industrial tribunal if they don't pay.

There is another clause "Lay off/short time working...The partnership reserves the right to lay off employees or to introduce short-time working should this be required by a downturn in work or other needs of the business." I don't think I would have much leg to stand on *sigh*

A few things:

1. If they keep you on after the probationary period is up, they've employed you.

2. 'Lay off' in that context clearly says to me that they're talking about the short-term rather than termination (i.e. "there's no work and we can't pay you so don't come in next week - see you a week on Monday").

3. You can't insert a clause in an employment contract that overrides employment law.

Basically, then: don't be a shrinking flower - it's morally wrong to just shrug your shoulders and walk away when employers play fast and loose with their obligations. You owe these people nothing but they owe you your full pay for the contractual notice period plus any statutory redundancy payment that is due (although that's probably zero after such a short tenure - do check it out though).

Slightly different context, but I worked for an employer and it was one of those run-of-the-mill process orientated roles, but I managed to use my imagination and people noticed me higher up in the company.... I was asked to work on loads of stuff outside of my job role and it was great, I was even being featured on their news pages and doing a job that was well above my station (outside of my day job).... The management at my office then came to me and basically said 'We don't like you, your face doesn't fit, and we will get rid of you'...All because I dared to try and get myself up the ladder and had people they could only dream about asking to work with me... I hung on for another six months after that before they found a way to stitch me up and get me fired, and the stress of trying to stay in the job role when they were doing everything they could to get rid of me was unbelievable... Your better off out of there, trust me life will turn around!

I walked away and couldn't be bothered with it. I do seem to be falling from one branch to another. Almost the same scenario happened to me with my last employer (I was made redundant from there in February after 10 years). I've moved on :) Did you get my email by the way? Been having problems with email of late.

hi bungle1977 I'm sorry to hear your having yet more problems but these people will spot you in an instant and take you for all they can get. You must be more of a hard case! it seems to me that you let them get away with too much! really and truly its a shame people are like this but they are and you have to be more hard nosed in business :) don't mean to be bossy but I am and I wouldn't have this and it drives me mad seeing nice people getting pooed on!

Back