Indexhibit to create a website

I ahve to say...i dont like it. Im not sure how much you can do with it but from a first glance your site looks pretty much exactly the same as the indexhibit site - not good.

Sorry if im sounding a bit too harsh or not looking into it enough but its just how i feel....

Its built for people that dont really understand web design that well, or that need a site that can easily be updated quickly and with minimum fuss. If its good enough for someone like Daniel Eatock then it its good enough for me.

Just a quick question what dont you like about my website? so i might be able to improve on it?

Understandable I suppose.

For me I jsut think there are so many other better portfolio sites available free for designers which you could have your domain name point to.

With yours, I dont like the navigation - it is too much like a general paragraph of text.

On a positive though - I LOVE your new generation of playing cards!

Well the point of my navigation is that the whole site is laid out before you, theres no need to click the back button or wander throughout the site. If theres a piece you want to look at or takes your fancy then BLAM! its right there. I've put it smaller because i dont want the nav sidebar having a bloody scroll bar!

Cheers for the playing cards, though i havent touched them for a VERY long time!

I'd like to throw my opinion in (for what it's worth)

These types of sites really quite annoy me.

Why is it that even though the web has been around for a good while now that sooooo many people still don't understand it's importance.

If someone who needs a website built needed a brochure printed, very little of them would use a free template and design. They would correctly pay someone skilled in that area to produce it for them. Knowing that it will provide value to their product.

So why is it people are so willing to use free/cheap web templates? They produce identikit websites that show the visitor that you don't care enough about them to invest in the Internet.

The money spent on a professional website is well worth it

indexhibit is really just a great format for a portfolio site either designers or photographers and can be customised. Its more the CMS style that appeals really I think so it can be easily updated.

AtiKuSDesign - I checked out your blog, notice you don't take your own adivice - using a free wordpress theme for your blog - lol. In general I agree with what your saying I've worked at a few printers and its soul destroying seeing numpties sending in badly designed word docs they're paying hundreds to print but decide its not important to use a proper designer.

AtiKuSDesign, so are you saying i dont care about the people that visit my site? Because that is quite bold statement. I agree that some people have used indexhibit quite badly, however myself and many others have taken our time and actually added coding to the original code, therefore creating a new site.

Remember as well that not everyone is actually a web developer, I am a print based graphic designer and typographer so web coding isn't actually a major skill i have developed yet.

Also not everyone can actually afford someone to come in and design a website for them, i sure as hell cant, and anyway i wouldn't want someone else designing my website. I want to be able to add new pages and pieces of work as quickly as possible so i can get on with my work; indexhibit lets me do that.

twiggy8520 I'm not sure that AtiKuSDesign is familiar with indexhibit... & realising that its a CMS

I think he's aiming his thoughts more at people that aren't designers of any sort?..

P.S checked out your site - like it, good work!

twiggy8520 said:
AtiKuSDesign, so are you saying i dont care about the people that visit my site? Because that is quite bold statement.

AtiKuSDesign said:
So why is it people are so willing to use free/cheap web templates? They produce identikit websites that show the visitor that you don't care enough about them to invest in the Internet.

Paul/twiggy, I don't think AtiKuS was directing this comment at your site i particular, I think it was more of a general comment on sites that use a set CMS with the standard theme/design, or a very common theme.

As you said in your post your site is unique as you have made the effort to customize the CSS and the design whilst utilizing Indexhibit for its CMS benefits.

I personally don't have a problem with Indexhibit as it gives a route to artists and print designers to getting a web presence to display their portfolio/work. Indexhibit is used by many new artists and designers as it reduces costs in getting a site setup in the early days and enables them to begin learning web design and html/css. I've seen some Indexhibit sites that are so well customised you can't even recognize that they are running on the CMS.

Greg

I would argue that if people were really passionate about their web presence they would try to find someone to code a website for them.

You wouldn't have to allow someone else to design the site, you could give them a design and they could build it for you. And if you found a decent web designer/developer they may even be able to help you improve your site design.

You have obviously not worked with a developer before, because if you wanted to add content quickly any developer worth his salt would provide that service.

Maybe you are right but, anyone that is just starting up like i am, i cannot afford a developer to come in and make me a website. Indexhibit is just made for people stepping into the world of web developing, most of it is editable so its like a starter kit if you will, for beginners.

AtiKuSDesign said:
You have obviously not worked with a developer before, because if you wanted to add content quickly any developer worth his salt would provide that service.

Hi AtiKus,
I believe the considerable advantage of a CMS like Indexhibit is the fact that the site owner can update the content as they like instantly, whilst a good developer can provide a content update service, nothing beats a CMS to give the client/site owner full control, be that a pre-built CMS like Indexhibit, Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, etc or a custom build by a developer to an exacting specification list - I'm sure you'll agree.

Back on-topic... with Indexhibit.. here's a couple of site examples built using Indexhibit showing how it can be taken in a new direction with some html/css knowledge :)

http://www.matthewthompsonphotography.com/
http://www.leemawdsley.co.uk/

Back