InDesign to iPad?

viperdesign

Hi folks

I have been asked by a client to produce a simple product leaflet that can be shown to customers on an iPad. I use IDCS3 and was wondering what the best way to go about it it? I'm guessing it needs to be formatted as a pdf? Should I make it A4 size or a specific size for the iPad (considering the retina is higher resolution but not sure what version it will be on).

They would also like some of the text to hyperlink to their website. Can this be done? Do I make the links in Acrobat or ID itself?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Surely the best thing to do is to design it in InDesign and save it as a PDF. You can do the hyperlinks in ID and they should translate to the PDF but you need to make sure that feature is turned on in the options when you export to PDF.

As for size I don't think it matters as the iPad screen and Acrobat will resize (or you can choose what % you want to view it).

Hope that helps!

Yep, done that. The links work when viewing the pdf on my iMac but not on the iPad. Seems the iPad pdf app is a slimmed down version :(

Gee I don't know what else to suggest. Presume you selected 'interactive' when exporting to PDF? Hopefully someone else will have an answer for you!

There are 'Digital publishing' options available with InDesign, but you need CS5 or CS6. This is a different format to PDF.

On a side note (you may have discovered this already..) make sure you're working in RGB in indesign. iPads have a habit of trying to convert cmky into rgb with some horrendous results! Colours with a high cyan content become dayglo green and magentas become bright pinky-purple...

Back