inDesign or Photoshop?

Mr.81

Okay, so I'm setting up a magazine and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on creating it in Photoshop - I have experience with Photoshop but none with inDesign. I'm thinking that in the long run inDesign will be more practical and therefore it's worth me learning it now in the beginning.

What do you guys think? Stick with Photoshop or go straight to inDesign?

All I know is that Creative Arts is made in Photoshop and Illustrator...? Not sure that helps, and not sure it's not just about personal preference (once more!)...?

sorry, that wasn't helpful at all!

Which ever you feel comfortable in, but as you get into multiple page layouts, it is alot easier to work with inDesigns grids.

Artwork in photoshop, text layouts in InDesign. I think that is fairly standard.

There are a few computer arts tutorials on the grid system and magazine stuff, it is a massive list of page after page so try googling "computer arts ...."

InDesign 100%!

Honestly the time taken with the learning curve now will save you a lot of time in this project and future projects. InDesign was made for publication design, main time saving things you want to get a grasp of I would say personally are the use of master pages, allowing you to create a page layout that you can then apply on any other selected pages, including double page spreads, and automatic page numbers that you can then style as appropriate. You can still use PS to create your graphics for images or page backgrounds, then you just link the PSDs direct or TIF image files, same with Illusrator/EPS files for logos/vector work.

Hope that helps, and if you get stuck using InDesign just shout :)
Greg

Worked on many Magazines (from corporate internal magazines to FHM Magazine) always 100% use InDesign for layup and typesetting. Photoshop for some other bits and pieces and Illustrator for some bits that need to be a bit clearer for print.

I would also say 100% Indesign. It is really worth learning how to use the style sheets, these will save you tons of time if you are doing loads of pages of a similar format or if the magazine is being published on a regular basis.

Designers don't design magazines in photoshop. Use InDesign. Use PS for image manipulation and graphics here and there, but you have to use InDesign for layout, text and everything else. If the magazine is going to be outsourced to a printer for publication and you give them a bunch of PSDs, not only will they laugh at you, they'll probably hate you too :p

Anything more than a couple of lines of text needed then InDesign is a must. I would vary rarely typeset even a flyer in Photoshop, for a magazine it would be a nightmare. Lots of good tutorial sites around and if you want a comprehensive beginners guide I'd recommend signing up for Lynda.com. Only costs about £15 per month and no minimum subscription time so you could just sign up for a month and blitz their tutorials.

Lol, I am with Nik and the rest of the "100% InDesign" crew!

No disrespect Mr.81 but I had to chuckle a little when I read your post.

Should you need any help with InDesign or if you are looking to outsource any work (hint hint) then just PM me- print layout work is what I do...and yes, I use InDesign....everyday! ;-)

yea, I found InDesign pretty simple to pick up... it's a basic layout package really... but i'm sure all of us will be able to help if you have questions on how to do stuff :)

Got to be InDesign without a doubt, leave Photoshop for any image work and compositions. I agree it's definitely worth looking into character and paragraph styles but also consider using the book function if you’re setting the entire magazine, makes the whole organisation thing far easier.

Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign. Indesign.

I designed the 42 page school magazine in Photoshop. I'm glad I did, because if I hadn't, I would not be wiser to the fact that it was probably the biggest mistake in my design career haha!

Photoshop can be used for elements. But use Indesign to lay it all up. Trust me. :)

Back