inDesign or Photoshop?

Just starting to follow some basic tuts and have a look around...similar to Publisher; immediately seeing the benefits of using it when it comes to creating a magazine.

(i know i'm destroying my plan to stay away during exams... but who cares :p)

it was said in this or last months that they used Illustrator and Photoshop fo sho, otherwise i wouldn't post it.

I'm guessing tho that they meant that Photoshop was used for some of the images/bgs or whatever used...?

rossnorthernunion said:
You sure about that one?

Got a feeling they might use ID or QXP.

I think he was meaning that certain elements are made using a few CS apps.

Its' laid up in Indy.

Hiya guys,
IMHO you don't necessarily need to use InDesign! a DO NOT DARE to call me amateur O_O
For a small mags (4-8 pages) or one-offs, with loads of visual/edited/non-grid material I think that spreadsheets in Illustrator would do. It's easier for beginners to generate decent artwork with it and -as far as you do your homework- the guys from pre-press won't hate you exesively.
If what you are after is heavy volume, with chapters a complex grid, and you want to keep consistency from number to number, then InDesign is your thing.
The big NO is for photoshop. Although quicker to sketch (if you don't sketch by pen&paper) the raster output would never be appropriate for small print, you don't have pagination, and using a hiddend layer as a grid is worse than designing with CorelDraw.

Make the production guys a favour and provide to them a full size (or closer to full size) hardcopy, properly colated. That would save both parties headaches and precious time.

My only complain about Indesign -a least in CS3- is that it has very poor collaborative tools, so working with a team can make things complicated.

-my two cents-

Mike // DFCLStudio said:
My only complain about Indesign -a least in CS3- is that it has very poor collaborative tools, so working with a team can make things complicated.

Care to give any examples??

Examples...
You cannot share a file within your team. Once you open a file, any other person is shut down. Although you can work in separate chapters and give one each team member, when you work with managing directors like mine, hardly ever you can organise things well enough for that.
You can say that I should blame poor planing and not InDesign :p but as per the real facts (only for in-house printing) I tended to set a template, do 1 spread a page, and then combine in acrobat for a decent multi-page document. Under loads of pressure I preffered having my full team able to access any page any time.

Hope it make sense.

rossnorthernunion said:
Freehand.

I love it.

Not used that in years.. I do miss it from time to time strangely... then go back to using Illustrator :lol:

even saying Freehand reminds me of being in University :lol:

Yea man - I heard freehand was baaaad. So I never used. I didnt really like the UI of Macromedia stuff anyway so stuck with Adobe.

Freehand was actually very good :) just not so good at some of the useful things (like making decent eps' or PDFs from them, and importing the Freehand files into anything) ...

chrismitchell said:
Freehand was actually very good :) just not so good at some of the useful things (like making decent eps' or PDFs from them, and importing the Freehand files into anything) ...

Exactly - i still use it now. Great for anything 1 - 12 pages.

Just used it tonight on a couple of jobs.

Straight to pdf.

And the eps thing - i hate the way ai eps's look all rusty in quark.

Back