InDesign: My latest article on Parent Styles

I love a well set-up ID doc with dozens of styles that do exactly what you want. Makes me feel like a real designer.

I take on so many files from all over the place and it's a common theme, people just seem to ignore the intelligence you can build directly within InDesign.

Two minutes setting up an additional style has saved me many hours tweaking large documents. The number of times I've seen files with just [Basic Paragraph] and everything else applied manually…

It's not just designers, I worked as a CAD technician as my first job, and we'd get drawings sent over where everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was just on a single layer. Made it practically impossible to isolate key areas the engineers needed to see. I wonder if people are genuinely just too lazy to plan ahead?

I secretly like to think that people remove the intelligence, like layers, based on styles, and other things that you'd expect to see simply to say, there's the file you asked for, good luck!

I like to think this way because somewhere inside I'm hoping that people do actually do the work properly but on handing it over they begrudgingly make the artwork as flat as possible when sending on.

Back