InDesign help needed!

Mawbey

Hi all.

I am relatively new to Adobe InDesign.

I am helping produce a large catalogue for a multi-national company. This is fine until I have to convert the prices of all the products into Euro and HK Dollars.

Apparently there is a way of doing this with a formula?? Although this really is all I know.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

:)

Many Thanks

I would suggest using xe.com or something like that to make the changes and make the 3 different files (one with Great British Pounds, one with Euro's and one with HK Dollars) would make it a bit easier :)

Thanks for the response Chris!

I have heard however that this can be done in InDesign.

The catalogue has 7000 products so I don't want to be going through manually converting the data.

If anyone knows how to operate this 'convert all data' function that would be amazing!

:)

is it not just a simple a x b = c kind of script set up and applied as a style or something?

Hi Charles

I have no idea it could be something along those lines, but how you are to go about that I have no idea.

:confused:

Hi Mawbey,

Do you already have all the price data in an excel spreadsheet?
Welcome to Design Forums by the way :)

Greg

HI Greg

Thanks!

No I don't. I am basically working through the 2009 version of the catalogue in InDesign making the various amendments and changes. I don't have any info in Excel as all I have been given is an existing ID document to alter and expand on. So I am working through in £'s atm, then as I say need some way of converting all the data to other currency.

If it gets to the point where I need to use excel then I will but I am just trying to explore the possibility of this illusive ID technique. (which is apparently one of the huge benefits over Quark)

um just a thought here. Wouldn't the euro and HK pricing against the uk pricing be different from last year anyways meaning ALL prices would be wrong according to currency conversion, ignoring the fact its fluctuates on a daily basis? I know the euro is now worth less than the pound was this time last year.

I'd have thought that the company would have had a price in mind for each of the regions rather than a fluctuating according to currency value approach.

I don't know im just guesssing but maybe go to find/change and use a script from there.

it's something that someone with xml or idml experience may be able to do.

there are quite afew people who know xml on here i think.

No problems, let us know how you get on if you test it out, would be useful to know for future reference :)

Greg

Back