InDesign & Excel Data Merge

Boomshanka

I wonder if any of you creative cats can help me out...

I have to do a Data Merge from an Excel document into InDesign (yawn), however I need to have the contents flow on from each other into one single text box, (not several, automated on the page):

So it should read:

[Name]
[Phone]
[Address]
[Web]

[Name]
[Phone]
[Address]
[Web]

repeat... etc.

But I can only work out how to do it flowing into different automated text boxes.
Can anyone shed any light? It would make a long, boring job much much easier....

Cheers!

It used to be really easy in Pagemaker to do Datamerge's.. i've not needed to do anything like that for years... If you have Quark Express it also has a very good DataMerge function..

Sorry can't be more help :(

No problem, thanks anyway. I have to do it in InDesign... I haven't done anything like this for years, and it's been a real pain...

I do have Quark, maybe I can merge it into quark, change the fonts, then export as rich text to InDesign... sigh... or I could go to the pub.

I've used indesign data merge before but only using separate text boxes for the sort of thing your talking about. maybe even do it to word then place from there if your considering other options - might be less hassle than quark?

tbwcf said:
Indesign + Excell can = Easy Money (I still agree with the puke bit too mind)

I suddenly had a scene from Terminator 2 in my head with instead of a bank machine a Mac with InDesign and Excell LOL:lol: yes the hit film Terminator 2: InDesign edition!

Hi Karl,

Can you not achieve a similar end result using the 'Create Merged Document' then selecting from the Records per Document Page drop-down.. 'Multiple Records'? You can then set margins/borders by selecting the 'Multiple Record Layout' tab from the same window. If you set your page design into the master page template then place your data onto the page.

Apologies if I've mis-understood! :)
Greg

Cheers Greg, yes i can, but I don't want multiple text boxes, just one text box with the text flowing in as one.

Btw - I agree InDesign + Excel = Puke

In fact, just Excel on it's own brings me out in hives.

Sorry Karl, I see where you're coming from now, out of interest why does it need to be in one text box?
This is really bugging me now, I'm sure there must be a way to do it... some how...

i have only found one way and that requires splitting the details inside the Database of names into as many as you want on one page (so if its 4 names per page in one text box then you will need to have split the names in the Database - eg name 1 to 4 along the top with the names split below)... thats the only way i can see to do it.

Back