Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Including wrongly worded words in copy on purpose?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right I've done some keyword research, forgive me if I don't post the actual words, and 1 of the terms is a misspelt word, in fact the word doesn't even exist, but gets 100's of searches for it a month, which in my clients niche is too much to pass up on.

The SEO in me is saying optimize for it, optimize for it, optimize for it so much so that I have actually done another page just for it.

But now I'm not so sure.

It's similar I suppose to more and moreorless, moreorless being the term I've optimized for, but not and more specific and doesn't sound as bad as that example if that makes sense?

So what are ppls opinions?
    I know I'll have control over it as the clients dead happy with the results I've got his business and given me free reign but I don't know, so what do peeps reckon?
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Personally I'd say if its working and bringing in more customers then leave it be, that is at the end of the day your job and clearly you've thought of something your clients competitors haven't. Plus your client is happy about the extra 'hits' too.

If they are searching for that word then they have to be spelling it wrong to start with so if that is the case then they probably aren't going to notice if its not spelt right on the site even.
  3. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Yeah that's true, just to clarify I haven't added the page yet, hence the thread, but it's more how other ppl perceive it who didn't come in from that term, as in would it put a negative view on the site as a whole if the 1 term was used say 8-9 times on 1 page, the site has only 8 pages and is not a massive blog or anything like that, and once or twice on a few other pages as well.

Also they probably didn't use it because it's misspelt, that and not many sites have had SEO work on them by a pro in my clients niche so it could be down to the fact that no1's been paid to think about using it or done the research.

So what I'm trying to work out is is it good that I've noticed it, or is that the reason I shouldn't use it, as it's all about balance.

I suppose the term isn't that obvious/doesn't stand out to much as well so the SEO side of me should win through on it. Mmmm....:confused:
  4. Levi

Not sure now, I suppose from a client perspective its not good to have typos on a page as it could come across as being careless or not looking at things in enough detail.

From an SEO's perspective its hits that count etc so and I know this might seem like a strange question - Now I know you can use the term hidden to hide the text from a viewer (i'm using it for my page titles as they're images) but not a search engine. Is there any way that you could utilise that to keep the correct spelling on the visible text while gaining the extra searches for the incorrect spelling?
  5. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

That's a bit of a dodgy ground fella, in the short term yeah it would work, long term, you will get penalized. For example 1 of the things I do on entrenched terms where I'm finding it hard to get enough quality links, bare in mind my SEO budget on this is zip, then 1 of the easiest things to do, and I've done it for this client on 1 term is to check out the ppl above him for bad techniques and then simply report them, they then get removed from the results and my client goes up that little bit more, now I would hate my client to lose his rankings TBH.

Also coming from a usability point of view if a site visitor comes to your site looking for the term, lol, almost wrote it then, lol, moreorless for example and they cant see moreorless in the copy there is a high chance they may just move on as a result.

So I want to keep it in the copy if I aim for it.

If your doing it on your site fella, I would be careful and rethink it TBH.

But cheers for the response. :)
  6. Levi

i wasn't sure if it was a safe option or not thats why I asked about it, there's no misspelling of words in my market :)

And I'm not using it in that way, the only reason its being used on my site is to allow the search engines to pick up the page headers as a header tag etc as they were image based (linky to thread - you commented in it :))

I suppose you could have the 'home' page and the 'home-alternate spelling' page and then the search engine would link to whichever is better. I vaguely remember reading about the possibility that google and the likes might not like that too so maybe thats out.

maybe you could do a test and use some sort of analytics tool to see how often the alternative word page gets hit (maybe use a secondary email address for a contact page too) and if its above a certain threshold keep it sort of thing.
  7. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

O yeah I get you now, yeah including it in Alt text of an image that actually contains text is fine. But it's still on the page be it in image form.

Jease fella you really do think about a problem hay.

Analytics hay?
    With no SEO budget on this the time I've got/money being paid means I've got just enough time to look at copy and find links, finding links being 99.999999% of the time, as 99.999999% of them are crap.

Analytic's maybe overkill TBH as in ~
    I would have to look at how many ppl came to the site after searching for that term then set a cookie and see how many ppl leave or contact his business. Now the problem is that that could quite easily become a false negative due to the fact that his business phone numbers are present on every page.

I would have absolutely no idea how many ppl left because they took the misspelling as you said as a failure to spot detail or they left after contacting him via phone and not via E-mail.

I've tried to get him to get me some figures of ppl contacting him via the phone from his website but TBH, he's not that realiable to bring me exact data so.....

Good idea though fella don't get me wrong. :)
  8. Levi

My brain is wired up to think about problems (plus I'm a stubborn perfectionist :)) and I'm also coming at it from a different direction to what you probably would, I'm looking it as the viewer/competition rather than the person bringing in the sales if you get what I mean. Plus all this talking and stuff gives me a little insight into how seo is best used so helps me out for when I do it on my site too, reading all the tips and stuff is good but its better to learn from someone who does it if you get me :)

As to the analytics I was just thinking of using google analytics, its free after all and it seems fairly good for the basics. Although you could have some on the hosting but not sure how good that would be, I know mine is fairly poor but the ukhost4u company that you mentioned seemed to have quite a good setup already. Now admittedly it doesn't necessarily show you how many people call or leave but it can show you if having the page there is numerically worth it.
    If its bringing in say 30-40% of the hits that the correct word is then would it be foolish to use it?

Whats the saying if you get 1 buyer out of every 100 visitors on your site you are doing pretty well. So say you get a 1000 visitors to the main word, thats 10 buyers, then theres another 300-400 visitors on the mispelled word meaning another 3-4 buyers. To me thats too much to not target. If its any less than that it could get to a point where the data would be too cloudy and as such not worth the effort.
  9. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

That's why I'm being stupid.

Statistically its 3.5% so it would be 3 and a half viewers out of every 100 viewers but it depends on loads of variables, accessibility, site architecture, SEO, how good your information architecture is, if it's easy to use etc... etc...

But yeah, with this kind of site, public service, I would expect honestly it more to be 60-70% conversion due to the other sites, and how good the information architecture is I've set up. That and i know it's bringing him a lot my business in, calls are up, emails are up etc.. etc... Therefore if I don't include it and the 250 searches a month could equal a lot of missed conversion buddy.

Analytic's I would do my self TBH, and TBH it's something I'm going to get on to across the board anyway.

Man you've helped me out loads the last few days, cheers fella for convincing me.

Jaz. :)
  10. Levi

No probs, its getting my head tuned into the SEO side of things for my site so at the very least I've picked up a few pointers from you along the way :)
  11. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

No worries, glad you've picked up a few things. :)