Image saving process

TomStutt

Hi All

I am interested in the process you guys and gals go through to save images for print and for web.

what formats do you use?

I would be thankful for any advice.

Thanks

Print -

I usually use InDesign ---> export to PDF (high quality)
make sure bleeds and slugs setup correctly.

Tom, what are you trying to export ..

Hi

I created an image in Inkscape (i dont have illustrator yet) and i save it as a SVG and an EPS. But i want it to be a PNG file so i have to open the EPS in photoshop so i can resize it and save it as a PNG but it doesnt keep any of the gradient areas. so the image just looks like a block of colour.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Good morning.

Tom, sorry don't use inkscape. When you open the file as a eps does it contain the gradient areas?
If you want..send me the EPS. I will open in illustrator and try to export from Illustrator.

ok cool - i havent got them on me now but il send it to you tonight. and no the gradient isnt there when i open the eps in photoshop

When it comes to image saving for the web, Fireworks really is an-awesome app. typically I use photoshop for the majority of work, save out at max quality then optimise with fireworks, reason for this is, fireworks compression methods are far far better than photoshops for gif,jpg,pngs and such you can save loads of file size for equal or better image quality than photoshop.

Sunburn said:
When it comes to image saving for the web, Fireworks really is an-awesome app. typically I use photoshop for the majority of work, save out at max quality then optimise with fireworks, reason for this is, fireworks compression methods are far far better than photoshops for gif,jpg,pngs and such you can save loads of file size for equal or better image quality than photoshop.

Great tip Geoff! :up:

I've always used PS for for web optimization. I even have FW in my CS Web Premium but I've never touched it. I wonder why they haven't used the same compression engine for PS? :confused:

Geoff are you sure about fireworks being better than photoshop. I can understand the normal save as jpeg being worse but I would have thought adobe would have just used the same code (obviously adjusted to suit) for the save to web option in photoshop.

Hey Levi, positive...

Check out my test for an example.....

Index of /image-test/

Background-ADOBE 80% Compression = 195.0KB
Background-FWORKS 80% Compression = 90.8KB

Adobe 80%

background-ADOBE80.jpg

Fireworks 80%

background-FWORKS80.jpg

Notice there is very little loss in image quality.

Give it a go.

Actually to my eyes the fireworks one looks soft, so I would suspect there's more compression and a blur applied. Now I'm not saying its not a good image but there is a difference in quality to me.

I may try it with my images later because as they say, bandwidth is money and my site does have a fair few images on some pages.

typically I use photoshop for the majority of work, save out at max quality then optimise with fireworks, reason for this is, fireworks compression methods are far far better than photoshops for gif,jpg,pngs and such you can save loads of file size for equal or better image quality than photoshop.

Back