Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm PADI Open Water Certified!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share the news that I completed my 4 day PADI Scuba course today and got my open water certification!! Done it in Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef, absolutely amazing, and now prob going to be hooked on diving!

I figured the course cost would be worth it as I recall NeilDigital who runs ScubaPrint saying that PADI members get a discount!! :clap:

That was all, thanks for reading.
  2. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Nice one Greg!
  3. well done Greg :)
  4. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Quality Greg, good on ya!
  5. h_freezy

h_freezy Senior Member

watch out for those currents and sharks
  6. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Well done Greg! Must be amazing! Did you see any Mantas or Whalesharks yet? :)
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

Well done! :D
  8. Greg

Greg Active Member

Thanks everyone!! :D

We did 4 training dives, saw the usual nemo, dori type fish also saw a couple of reef sharks and held a sea cucumber which was strange but very cool! then we had our fun dive which was the one we did without the instructor.

As we stayed on the boat overnight they also do night dives for the qualified divers, whilst we didn't get to do that dive, we did get the chance to lay down on the platform at the back of the boat, get lowered into the water and watch all the reef sharks as they fed them!! :D

Have a few pics but not sure how well they will have come out, if there's any decent ones I'll post them up! If you ever get the chance to go diving I highly recommend it!

Aarlev - No mantas or whalesharks, we was in the wrong location for those, but speaking to a few people onboard we've now been convinced to try and get to Thailand (Phi Phi Island) where the diving is supposed to be amazing, and you can see both of those there!
  9. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Nice one greg, I did mine in egypt for my 18th! dived once since then in egypt again but hopefully will get out in cairns for a recap! Good fun eh.
  10. Greg

Greg Active Member

Cool didn't know you had done your Bren, and yeah was great, if you are going to go diving apparently it's better a bit further North of Cairns at Port Douglas as you go to the outer reef to an area called the ribbon reef, the area we did our course at was the main diving spots used I think, so not as lively reef wise.

When are you guys heading up to Cairns? We've not got long left now :(
  11. br3n

br3n Senior Member

heading up in about 2 weeks, camper van for 2 weeks driving to cairns and then back down via everything interesting - how long did the drive take you? ive been told 20 hours.

Then probably going home!
  12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ahh cool, we did quite a few stops on the way up, main one being Airlie Beach for nearly a week, did a couple of 7 hour drive days, and then the rest were 2-4 hour drives, not sure what the total would be if you just go straight up?!

If you need somewhere to stay in Cairns then check out Sunlands Caravan Park (ignore the bad website, the cabins are nice!) we've got a budget cabin for $38 a night, got a mini kitchen with microwave, sofa, TV, DVD player (free dvd hire too) and Austar Movie & Sports channels! For last 2 weeks we're booked up in here as was only $5 more than a powered tent site, and now sold all the tent gear on eBay for $150 :D

No luck on the job front then? Thought you guys were planning on staying longer :(
  13. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Kind of had enough, I could waste my time more productively back home - I earned really good money working for those friends in brisbane last 2 weeks so we're just going to spend it all going to cairns, white water rafting, diving etc and then get back for UK summer ::