Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm giving up the booze....

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by bigdave, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

.. for a month, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.

As some of you will be aware, we lost my 52 year old mother-in-law, Liz to cancer 3 weeks ago. Throughout Liz’ battle with cancer, she and the family received a huge amount of help and support from the Macmillan nursing team, who were there to provide everything from pain relief through to being a shoulder to cry on.

Most people don't realise that Macmillan rely quite heavily on donations to enable them to provide this valuable service to cancer sufferers and their families. I’m not coming round with a bucket asking for donations but I am asking for sponsorship. Macmillan run an annual fundraiser called “Go Sober for October” where (as you’ll have guessed) participants raise money by abstaining from alcohol for the whole of October. This might not seem like much of a challenge for someone like me who drinks in moderation... paaaah! Who am I kidding, I drink like a bloody fish and this is going to be absolute murder for me!..

I would really appreciate your support to enable me to give something back to a team of people who gave so much to all of us when we needed it. I'm doing quite well so far with some really generous donations but if anyone can afford a couple of quid, I'd really appreciate it:

Cheers guys.
  2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Well done and good luck mate
    :icon_cheers: (Oooops!)
    bigdave likes this.
  3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I'll sort you out a few quid when I finally start getting some invoices being paid :icon_smile:
  4. bigdave

Thank you bothso much.

Originally my plan was to bet the £100 mark but everyone's been so generous I reached that within 24 hours!! Including offline donations my current total is just short of £175 which is epic!! Heres hoping I can reach £200 by the end of October.
  5. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Sad news - I'm sure I can stump up something... my husband has recently been diagnosed with oesophagus/stomach cancer and starts chemo next week.
  6. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Kate, hope all goes well.
  7. bigdave

Thank you.

I'm really sorry to hear your news.
  8. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Sh*t happens - he should be OK eventually... after a major operation in January. Not good to see him going downhill though. Perhaps I'll give up the booze another year for Macmillan!