Illustrator Pen Paths - Flourishes

S

Squiddy

OK, so I'm currently designing a logo and I have interpreted the design brief to require a flourish in order to meet their needs.

I'm working in Illustrator CS5 and I'm wondering how to separate a section of a pen path without loosing the bezier curve so that I can mirror it - normally this wouldn't be a problem but there is loop in the line which is making it infinitely more difficult.
attachment.php

I know it doesn't look fantastic yet, haha, I'll be playing around with the curves and line widths after I've worked out how to actually get what I want.

So basically I would like to know how I can take the left section of the image, with the cut going through the centre of the loop, and then mirror it maintaining the pen path to create a symmetrical flourish.

Failing that, I'm open to suggestions for simpler ways to approach this situation!

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 23
The image link is broken, but at a guess try the Scissors tool to 'cut' the path (shortcut = c).

Or indirect select the piece of path you want, copy, and paste it as an individual section. More than one section? Multiple select with the shift key.

Or... try the Reflect tool (shortcut = o) then rotate to obtain the correct reflection.

Sorry, I was trying to work out how to add an image into the post without having it as an attachment and without having to upload it to my server. You should be able to see it now.

Thanks for the advice though I'll try it out now :)

Yeah, I mean I've always used photoshop to create my graphics and was always of the opinion that Illustrator was just an... optional extra, how very silly of me! I'm glad I got into it now, I'm not sure how I'd have progressed without it!

Yeah I will definitely be doing that from now on, thanks again for the help.

Back