Illustrator Help with Recreating a Shape

Tiffany

I'm trying to recreate the black "0" violin shape below. I was able to create the "0" shape, but I am unsure how to recreate the central part on the sides that are cut out. My thinking was to copy the the "o shape that I made, shrink it down, place it where it will overlap the original to get the cut-out effect, however I am unsure of how to make the pointed side sections. If anyone would be able to tell me how to do it properly, I would greatly appreciate it.

shape.JPG

To be honest the pen tool is probably the clunkiest way to do this. Here's what I did. Started by making this shape using an ellipse and two mirrored triangles

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.07.14.png

Then I used different passes of the pathfinder tools to cut out the shapes I needed until I had this
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.11.35.png
Then I selected the far left anchor point on the curve and used the Anchor Point Tool (Shift + C) to smooth it out by dragging far to the left. When it's how you want it, just duplicate it, flip it and align it to the opposite side.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.10.48.png

You can then just cut the whole shape in half, duplicate the side and rejoin them. Not a perfect shape but this took me all of 2 minutes. With time you can get the scales just how you'd like them.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.15.34.png

As Carl said.

You could just draw just the top, left hand quarter and then flip vertically (mirror) that to make the bottom, left part and join it.
This would give you the left side.
Then do the same but horizontally fit it to create the right side.
Then just line up as before and join the paths.

As Carl said.

You could just draw just the top, left hand quarter and then flip vertically (mirror) that to make the bottom, left part and join it.
This would give you the left side.
Then do the same but horizontally fit it to create the right side.
Then just line up as before and join the paths.

That is EXACTLY what I would do...

@Paul Murray , for this step which pathfinder tool did you use to cut the shape? I have been messing with all of them and I haven't been able to figure out how to cut out the circle this way...

Back