Illustrator CS3 changing CMYK values?

STU9000

I created a swatch library and was using that, but I just noticed that illustrator seems to have autiomatically adjusted them to new values, slightly different?

So I'm thinking wtf and that all!

Why has this happened and how do I get all the colours back I was originally working with???

This appears to have happened after I accidentally exported it as a dwg file instead of a jpg, something to do with that? Highly annoying. Never realised colours could be so complicated.

It seems to save it to the right colour (according to comparison with previous files with my eye) when I save it as an RGB jpg. If i save it in CMYK the colours appears more dull. That didn't happen before... *totally confused* I need these colours to be right by tuesday.

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused as it seems you are working with CMYK and then you export it as a RGB jpg? So of course the colours will be different. I think you need to know whether you should be working in CMYK or RGB before you do anything. You can't go from one to the other and expect the colours to match.

I am working in CMYK, but will have to convert to RGB to submit my design for the competition. It seems to have changed the CMYK values without me doing anything, although it's back to the former now. Also, when I enter the values it then seems to adjust them slightly after, eg. if I enter 90 it will change to 89.67...

I don't really understand why it does that.

If the competition requires your design to be in RGB then you should be working in RGB format from the beginning, that way when you save/export it as a jpg there will be no problems. You need to set up your illustrator to RGB before you start your work, if not you will have a bit of a headache trying to re-match the colours.

The reason why illustrator may be changing the values slightly is because maybe you are trying to pick a RGB colour into your CMYK profile setting or maybe it is just changing the value slightly to best fit your colour profile setting. Either way the difference between 89.67 and 90 cannot be detected by the human eye lol.

Maybe read up a bit on RGB vs CMYK formats to help you understand better.

I know a bit about RGB/CMYK but I do need to learn a bit more. It's very interesting, from a physics/epistemological point of view. Anyway, they specified the colours in CMYK, but want the designs in RGB format for the upload. I think CMYK gets screwed up somewhere, somehow, I've heard of people complaining about it before on that site. Anyway, I am working in CMYK, and only converting to RGB for uploads. This happened while I was still working in CMYK.

I know a bit about RGB/CMYK but I do need to learn a bit more. It's very interesting, from a physics/epistemological point of view. Anyway, they specified the colours in CMYK, but want the designs in RGB format for the upload. I think CMYK gets screwed up somewhere, somehow, I've heard of people complaining about it before on that site. Anyway, I am working in CMYK, and only converting to RGB for uploads. This happened while I was still working in CMYK.

Well in that case I would EXPORT it as a PSD and then Save for Web high/maximum quality as a jpeg. Or you could try just saving as a Jpeg. See which works best for you. But the first way I mentioned is probably best in terms of colour co-ordination and file size.

ok will keep that in mind. It changed the colours on the Ai document, you could visibly see the difference. Anyway, hopefully this wont be too much of an issue.

Send me the file if you like and I can see what I can do for you in terms of matching the colours to your values as a Jpeg.

How do I do that? I think I'd prefer not to send the whole file just yet if that's alright anyway. Maybe I can send a small part, or someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong, if anything, and how to put it right.

Back