Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator CC triangles/paths help!

Discussion in 'Adobe Forum:' started by Fliss, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Fliss

Fliss New Member

Hi guys...

I'd love some help if anyone has a second.

I've got the basics down in Illustrator, but I cannot engage my brain to figure out the solution to this! It must be very simple!

I am updating my personal branding, and part of my logo is as such:
    ScreenShot2014-07-23at124116.jpg

I need all the individual triangles to be their own shape, so I can change the fill colours etc.

Now, I have the main triangle outline, and with the pen tool, drew the pattern on the inside. There are several different paths to make the triangles...maybe this is a problem, and I should do each line individually? I have tried dividing, and ungrouping which works to an extent, but does not separate all of them.

Any ideas on the best way?

:icon_smile:

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Draw the outline of the triangle.

Draw individual single ordinary lines to interest the outline shape.

Then select everything and choose Pathfinder>Divide

This will break up the shape into it's individual triangles - ready for recolouring.

This shows the very basics of it.

How to Divide in Adobe Illustrator: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

3. Fliss

Fliss New Member

Thanks

I had already tried dividing, as I said... :)

So I guess it must be something I'm doing wrong in the drawing of the triangles, like you say, not intersecting the outline shape. Must every line intersect the outline? I have lines in there of which only one end intersects the outline...

4. hankscorpio

Yes - I wouldn't draw triangles, I'd draw individual lines.

And they all should intersect the outline

5. hankscorpio

6. Fliss

Fliss New Member

Ahhh, I see! I was over complicating it by trying to add to the outline paths rather than just dissecting them!

Very simple, and I can refine the inside by deleting the extra anchor points! Fabby! Thanks so much for your help!

Said it would be simple :D Brainfart Wednesday, that's my excuse

7. hankscorpio

Glad I could help. We all brainfart on Wednesdays... roll on Beer Farts Fridays!