Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator CC triangles/paths help!

Discussion in 'Adobe Forum:' started by Fliss, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Fliss

Fliss New Member

Hi guys...

I'd love some help if anyone has a second.

I've got the basics down in Illustrator, but I cannot engage my brain to figure out the solution to this! It must be very simple!

I am updating my personal branding, and part of my logo is as such:

I need all the individual triangles to be their own shape, so I can change the fill colours etc.

Now, I have the main triangle outline, and with the pen tool, drew the pattern on the inside. There are several different paths to make the triangles...maybe this is a problem, and I should do each line individually? I have tried dividing, and ungrouping which works to an extent, but does not separate all of them.

Any ideas on the best way?

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Draw the outline of the triangle.

Draw individual single ordinary lines to interest the outline shape.

Then select everything and choose Pathfinder>Divide

This will break up the shape into it's individual triangles - ready for recolouring.

This shows the very basics of it.

How to Divide in Adobe Illustrator: 10 Steps (with Pictures)
  3. Fliss

Fliss New Member

I had already tried dividing, as I said... :)

So I guess it must be something I'm doing wrong in the drawing of the triangles, like you say, not intersecting the outline shape. Must every line intersect the outline? I have lines in there of which only one end intersects the outline...
  4. hankscorpio

Yes - I wouldn't draw triangles, I'd draw individual lines.

And they all should intersect the outline
  5. hankscorpio

6. Fliss

Fliss New Member

Ahhh, I see! I was over complicating it by trying to add to the outline paths rather than just dissecting them!

Very simple, and I can refine the inside by deleting the extra anchor points! Fabby! Thanks so much for your help!

Said it would be simple :D Brainfart Wednesday, that's my excuse
  7. hankscorpio

Glad I could help. We all brainfart on Wednesdays... roll on Beer Farts Fridays!