Illustration Portfolio Critique Please

onesidezero

Hi All,

I'm looking for some feedback on my illustrations and was hoping to get some honest viewpoints. I don't mind if they're negative, everyone is entitled to their opinion and everything said helps. I'm starting to transfer my art to products and want to gauge a reaction; I already sell products in Urban Outfitters and a few smaller stores in the UK so know the work appeals to people but would like to find out a little more on what people think.

Before anyone picks up on style, I need to say that I've purposely stuck to one route as it helps the work stay commercially relevant!

You can view my work here: www.onesidezero.co.uk

Thanks.

Hi, thanks very much, appreciate the comments from both of you. Any constructive criticism would be welcome though to help me move forward.

@ClarkeCreative: My illustration's a sideline to my main job as graphic designer and I can build sites yes (Wordpress, HTML, PHP, Joomla, Kentico). I'm completely booked with work until September but would be happy to help if you needed something or knew of someone who did. I've not posted my link as the site's not been updated for 2 years due to my workload so it's a bad reflection on my work but if you PM me I can happily send you examples. Thanks.

Hey Adam, thanks for the advice. I have thought about this but there's 2 really good reasons I'd rather keep them higher file size.

a) I mainly target Art Directors who have super fast connections (I've a 20mb connection here and if I empty my cache, delete temp...etc it takes around 2 secs to load every image with the ones before the fold loaded instantly)
b) Anyone who blogs my work likes to have high quality images, I reckon it's probably better to have them posted across the net at higher quality than lower!

Hey Adam, thanks for the advice. I have thought about this but there's 2 really good reasons I'd rather keep them higher file size.

a) I mainly target Art Directors who have super fast connections (I've a 20mb connection here and if I empty my cache, delete temp...etc it takes around 2 secs to load every image with the ones before the fold loaded instantly)
b) Anyone who blogs my work likes to have high quality images, I reckon it's probably better to have them posted across the net at higher quality than lower!

I've only got a 10mb line in here and it's no issue at all loading your work. Lovely illustrations by the way :)

Hi everyone, thanks so much for replies.

If anyone else posts anything, it would be great to try and help me identity the strengths / weaknesses so I can move my work forward. I personally feel I need to use a new colour palette which is something I'm working on at the moment as I tend to gravitate towards the same colours in a lot of my work. I also want to try and get some more typography in there as I like being able to communicate an immediate message through a bit of text.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them, that's what I was hoping this thread might offer! Cheers, Brett :)

Back