Illustration for Beginners

Wrams

Hello everyone.

I've been looking for websites to teach me the very basics of Illustrator. However, I can't find any. I also need something that explains what each and every tool does. I can use Photoshop with confidence but Illustrator is a no no. I've tried looking for Illustrator layouts with explainations of what each tool does but everytime I use google to find what I'm looking for it never shows me any links to what I'm looking for.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be truely grateful.

Thank you for any replies. :icon_thumbup:

I had a terrible mental block with Illustrator for a long time. Fortunately when I was made redundant, the time before the last redundancy, there was a freebie course being run by a former tutor from the royal college of printing. Within a week I'd got my head around it enough to do this,

Attachments

• busa2.jpg
    busa2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 97
Wow, Nice stuff. I like it. Thanks mate for sharing that. I hope one day I can make graphics like that. See I'm a Web Developer by trade (Freelance) so I really need to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible.

Thanks again for the viewing of that great image. ;)

The book

There is a giant book that comes with the Illustrator software, did you not order the software with the disc and get the book?

You know it's pretty easy to learn it by just sitting down and start using it off the bat, the sooner you start using it every day the quicker you will learn the tools. They aren't actually that complex you will find once you start getting to grips with them.

There is a giant book that comes with the Illustrator software, did you not order the software with the disc and get the book?

You know it's pretty easy to learn it by just sitting down and start using it off the bat, the sooner you start using it every day the quicker you will learn the tools. They aren't actually that complex you will find once you start getting to grips with them.

I have the creative suite 5 collection so never received any books what so ever as they didn't offer any at the time. Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

Thank you everyone ;)

Honestly, I think the single biggest hurdle you need to get over with Illustrator is the Pen Tool (at least that's what I found)....

You probably have a good amount of experience with that from Photoshop already. Almost everything I do in Illustrator starts and ends with it.

That tool was the thing I struggled most with when I started learning Illustrator. Now I cant come to terms with the Gradient Mesh Tool AT ALL! :/

meh i have both illustrator and a new graphics tablet and have never used illustrator. Better get to it..:icon_yucky:

If you can still buy them, the 'Easy Steps' books are really useful! Ive got one for illustrator CS, illustrator CS2, Photoshop CS, Indesign CS2, Quark Express 5 & Dreamweaver 8. Think I learned more from them, than I did from my tutors at college.

That darned pen tool

I agree, that pen tool is a b***ch :D I still don't know how to use it properly after 10 years :O

Amanda

Since buying a tablet I've been moving away from the pen tool and towards brush and pencil. Just seems so much more intuitive and if you need to close a path there's always cmd J.

Back