IE Drops below 50% Market Share

Dave1975

As IE8 Begins To Fall, IE Finally Drops Below 50 Percent Browser Share

It was just two years ago that Microsoft’s Internet Explorer web browser controlled 67 percent of the worldwide market, according to data from web analytics company StatCounter. It has been all downhill from there.

According to the the latest data from the company, last month, September 2010, marked the first time IE fell below the 50 percent share mark in the past decade. Of course, this data only counts what StatCounter collects, but they claim that it’s a huge dataset worldwide — billions of visits from millions of sites. And the trend is clear: two years ago, two-thirds of those people were browsing the web with IE, now less than half of them are.

HUZZAH!

Good to see a nice climb in chrome users aswell. Still needs a bit of functionality love as far as web design & development is concerned, but it is a bloody good browser.

The only thing I wish I could do with chrome easier is turn JS off (tell me if there's an easier way that changing the target)... but otherwise it is a super browser :D

Renniks said:
The only thing I wish I could do with chrome easier is turn JS off (tell me if there's an easier way that changing the target)... but otherwise it is a super browser :D

you could add -disable-javascript to the end of the shortcut

Renniks said:
was after easier way to turn it off than changing the target ^_^

goodnessgracious_2_396x222.jpg

I knew dat!

Options - Under The Hood - Content Settings - Javascript

TBH I can't wait for IE9.
It has support for all the selectors, multiple background images on 1 element, text shadow, border radius, new JS engine new modern look etc... etc... as far as I'm aware anyway.

But I should be switching from Safari to IE9 which should be out this side of Xmas I reckon, especially as Microsoft have got there act together as well and given us a development tool to see what our sites look like in all the browsers, and a web developers debug tool as well.

Hay looks like techcrunch needs to get their figures right. Go to statcounter, where they got the results from, click the stat that says bar and then hover over the results.

IE 55.83% share.

However Chrome 6.6% look at the line graph and that's over 10% so not sure which graph they reckon is right but both are different.

Mmm....I wonder what the best way to tell the stats for indidudual browser stats are, IE: IE6,7 and 8, FF, Saf, Op and Chro.

Hitwise?

I can't find it if it is?
Any other ideas peeps?

I reckon the second one you gave is probably the best for the browser versions as W3 is going to be biased to other versions other than IE, but yeah I know it sucks.

It's a shame that Google doesn't publish one from their analytics's as google analytics's is now reckoned to be in over 1/3 of sites on the net, now that would be pretty accurate if it wasn't tampered with.

Back