Identity Design Crit

I totally agree with you that it could be improved but this is what the 'client' chose. There were a bunch of other options.. some that you might have thought were stronger but the project was all about designing to the brief and working closely with the 'Client'. but thats why i posted this.. i know that theres room for improvement, on almost everything so thats it really.. I'm enjoying the opinions.. everything is helpful.

Your right, in hind sight I do remember being graded on academic ability rather than creative ability & artistic merit... :/

The concept in itself has good foundation, but i agree with the other posts. It looks to uniform and 'neat' despite the fact you say its supposed to mimic the handmade nature of your clients work. As with the other posts you don't really get the concept of a D being within the identity.

It would also appear you're not really grasping what the other postings are saying about it in trying to help you and offer you constructive criticism. Just because the work had to be digital doesn't mean you can't start off with rough scamps and thoughts on paper. It forms the basis of most design work, a point you seem to be missing.

And whilst you say the client was happy with it, it was the one he chose. He might have just thought it was the best out of the choice he had. I'm not knocking your design. It's a good start for uni student.

Like the other posters though I agree totally having been there and done that Uni doesn't prepare you for real world design. It's more about being graded for showing your ideas and thought process than the actual concept and execution (although of course it does play a part).

If I knew the things I know now from ten years in design, when I was at uni. Things would have turned out very different. Uni didn't prepare me for real world design at all. I'd recommend getting freelance work, or setting yourself tasks outside your uni work, when you have time. it can be invaluable and if you can get someone qualified with experience rather than a lecturer (which i guess you're doing here) all the better. The more you design, the better you will get. Not one expects you to be the best at this early stage in your path of a design career. But one thing I have noticed from all the posts is you need to be able to understand peoples feedback and critiques and I'm not sure that you have fully. That just comes from inexperience, i hope. Which will come with time.
I have attached a link to an image 'quote poster' which I think is very true....

quote-poster1.jpg

Back