Ideas for SpotUV on this design

1christopher

As they say, your own work is always the hardest.

I'm doing a quick restyle for 2011 and looking at my business card design.

Never had doublesided cards before, but thought i really ought to showcase quality- so am going for doublesided full colour, matt laminate with Spot UV.

I have attached the design, and am wondering a) what people think, and b) where/what i should UV on it...

export.png

Christopher

Spot UV isnt very good at doing small detail, small type etc. It would work better in solid blocks / larger areas. It might be good to put the whole front of that card in spot uv apart from the 'vibrant colour' logo, then you'd get a 2 tone gloss / matt effect as it would work as a concept also. Don't go too mad with it as its a pretty tacky effect if used for the sake of it.

Spot UV isnt very good at doing small detail, small type etc. It would work better in solid blocks / larger areas. It might be good to put the whole front of that card in spot uv apart from the 'vibrant colour' logo, then you'd get a 2 tone gloss / matt effect as it would work as a concept also. Don't go too mad with it as its a pretty tacky effect if used for the sake of it.

by the front, do you mean the White side or the stripey?

I mean the stripy side, so that all the colour has the (glossy) spot uv applied to it leaving just the non glossy finish of the white logo. If your getting standard full colour cards, they are probably matt laminated before the spot uv is applied. The matte coating is more of a satin type effect and most colour cards tend to have it. You'll get a nice contrast with the glossy effect the Spot UV will have.

I'd agree with the above.

If you need any printing please get in touch, I've just started selling spot uv cards :icon_smile:

How about removing the words VibrantColour and the circle from the front (the stripey side) so its all just stripey and then put it back in using just spot UV? I know the above comments suggest that UV doesn't go well into fine details but your logo isn't exactly what you could call a fine detail so would work well.

Placed the order this morning, this is the final design and gloss highlight pattern i've gone for - thanks to Bigdave for his suggestion - i've gone with it, it had crossed my mind earlier in the project but i hadnt thought much more about it til then.

vc.png

Looks good but I would seek advice from your printer regarding having vibrantcolour.co.uk in spot as that may just be pushing it a bit with regard to fine detail.

Back