Ideas for graduate show poster

The_optimist

I need some ideas for concepts to design a poster for an art and design graduate show.

Ideas I have at the moment are: Eggs - undiscovered talent waiting to be hatched.

Something wrapped up - Discovering fresh new talent.

Are these good ideas to continue with? What are the first words that pop into your head when you think of an art student grad show?

Hi,

I think you're on the right lines as starting points, think about what the shows are there to do, aside from students getting to look at all their collective work, it's a chance to promote your name and talent, so yeah definitely on the right tracks. I would be thinking discovering raw talent, loads of creative ideas, and lots of enthusiasm, energy & passion.

If you can capture the idea of discovering new talent I think it could work well.

Very random thoughts that spring to mind...
Diving for pearls, so the shell opening up with pearl inside...
Gold mining, along same lines, talent is gold, gold creativity...

When is the show? and where is it based?
Is there anyway you can connect another element to the design? As the eggs one you mentioned would obviously work well around Easter time :)

Greg

The_optimist said:
What are the first words that pop into your head when you think of an art student grad show?

Getting trapped in the corner by drunk students endlessly talking about their work?

The_optimist said:
I need some ideas for concepts to design a poster for an art and design graduate show.

Ideas I have at the moment are: Eggs - undiscovered talent waiting to be hatched.

Something wrapped up - Discovering fresh new talent.

Are these good ideas to continue with? What are the first words that pop into your head when you think of an art student grad show?

Sorry....Seen all these ideas trillions of times.

the first thing that pops into my head when i think of a student grad show is dissapointment, but that's because i attend them.

Thanks Greg, great minds think alike hey.

Well the show is actually at the end of April, so yes it ties in nicely with Easter.
I was also thinking of a Spring theme - perhaps a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis...

As well as promoting the art show, the poster also needs to promote the art college and encourage prospective students, so I need to make sure the message is not just based around the 'new talent' theme.

And yes whilst some of these ideas may sound cliched - the only ones which work are those that are done well.

well as its a UK university show.. how about a kebab? or some fast food wrapper on the floor... half eaten... something about taking a bite out of design.. something like that?

I think the eggs are very 'New Blood' D&AD.. Anything about emerging and growing has been done.

I'd go in the utter opposite direction and have something really traditional and old school.. Some Victorian Freak Show-esque style.. You know, like those old Circus posters..

One of them reminds me of an old school boxing poster, there's another idea, The Credit Crunch Fight - Graduate Vs. Economy, have a bit of fun with all the doom and gloom surrounding graduate recruitment in the design industry?

or you could do a really sarcastic one in the style of a demotivational poster..

The_optimist said:
Well the show is actually at the end of April, so yes it ties in nicely with Easter..

If it's Easter and for showcasing work. What about a DIY crucifixtion kit of 3 nails and a hammer? ( I generally bring my own to these events ):D

But seriously.... you need to a strong theme that gives you room to develop.

Find one word true motivational word not a plain word and work on that as the starting point. ie. desire, lust. even new blood, or fresh blood ( false vampire teeth) see below.
Just put a spin on it it will create separation from the obvious and the expected. Good luck;) ( if you want the fang concept just take it!)

110wxmp.jpg

Berry said:
Sorry....Seen all these ideas trillions of times.

the first thing that pops into my head when i think of a student grad show is dissapointment, but that's because i attend them.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo handbags.

I'm liking the diving for pearls idea.

mrp2049 said:
Link, dam flciker and its unwillingness to let me post a pciture...

was the poster from my degree show, each discipline had its own character/monster

maybe something completely unrelated, i like the idea of farm animals...doesnt make alot of sense, but could be fun to do.

Just out of curiosity, what is the trend about with type lately?

where everythin is at a 35-45 degree angle.

Stay away from this in your poster.

it looks good and i find myself being drawn towards it but it is becomming a cliche quickly

Calvin_T said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the trend about with type lately?

where everythin is at a 35-45 degree angle.

Stay away from this in your poster.

it looks good and i find myself being drawn towards it but it is becomming a cliche quickly

I wouldnt say lately, my degree show was 3 years ago!

There are some great ideas here! I especially like the idea of some sorta vintage poster, love that style of graphology. I think I'll steer away from anything thats too stereotypically 'studenty' - as I don't think I want to pigeon-hole all students as beer drinking kebab eating morons. Its for an art college anyway, not a university, so doesnt really fit the target market.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Good luck, would be good to see the ides developing and the end result :)
Welcome to Design Forums by the way, feel free to make an introduction post
(So I don't keep calling you by your DF username, well at least not all the time!)

Back