Idea for homepage

ralphsaunders

Recently had an idea for my homepage. The purpose of this is to be a directory which contains links and details rather than a full blown site. I guess its my take on the business card style sites that are about at the moment.

Link to the site.

Comments, feedback, suggestions and rants would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ralph

I like it, though I feel it should do something like change the background colour when you go through the different things you do :) just to make it visually more interesting :) just my thought :)

It rolls on every 3 seconds or so. I might be able to do something where if you scroll it will flick through them too.

I dont think it is exactly necessary, but attention span is rubbish, so I would be torn between the waiting factor vs scrolling.

You couldnt do both that would be too annoying.

Sorry if I'm not being constructive, I'm tired and need to go to bed as Im off to London tomorrow.

My thought was to have it flick through like normal but if you scroll it forces it to flick through faster, when you stop it just goes back to normal.

My thoughts:
While I wasn't sure what you'd done at first, it soon comes to light
I feel that when clicking on those items a small blurb should appear with a link
When clicking on them it should 'quickly' scroll to the item you clicked (if its not already) showing
also scrolling (up & down / mouse wheel) should speed it up like you've said :D

I like the home page, but when I clicked on design, I expected to see a similar design and the same with blog. I'm not a fan of the scrolling idea and 3 seconds is to long, it was only the second time I looked at it that I noticed it did this.

maybe you should try the background colour to what you have on your portfolio page.

I think drop the ticker completely and replace it solely with a scroll. And use a proper quote-style apostrophe! Instead of ' use ’ in I'm ;)

craig.5br said:
I like the home page, but when I clicked on design, I expected to see a similar design and the same with blog. I'm not a fan of the scrolling idea and 3 seconds is to long, it was only the second time I looked at it that I noticed it did this.

maybe you should try the background colour to what you have on your portfolio page.

Portfolio is getting redesigned at the moment.

You and harry really don't like the scrolling idea? :/

I don't like the fact that it scrolls on its own. I'd prefer it if I could control its scrolling :)

chrismitchell said:
I like it, though I feel it should do something like change the background colour when you go through the different things you do :) just to make it visually more interesting :) just my thought :)

Ditto, I like the idea of the changing colours too

I'd also like to say, lucky you getting a dribbble invite :) How do you like it?

Haha, yeah it was pretty lucky. I love dribbble, there is so much inspiration and so many good designers there its unbelievable.

ralphsaunders said:
Haha, yeah it was pretty lucky. I love dribbble, there is so much inspiration and so many good designers there its unbelievable.

You think?
I think it's just another place where the more famous designers just pat each other on the back, regardless of what they actually produce.
It's too elitist and the more known designers only follow each other, leaving less known people following them but their own work barely been seen. This in turn fuels the cycle.

The famous get more so, while the more humble designers go unnoticed. I am seriously unimpressed with Dribbble :(

Yeah, but how do you find out about them? Chances are you don't, not immediately and not many of them. It's just another way for the big names to kiss the arses of other big names, IMO.

Back