• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I want to stop supporting IE6

When I make websites I currently check against IE6, 7, 8, firefox, safari, chrome for PC and Safari, Firefox for the Mac, I also view in Opera but don't worry too much if there's a few oddities. I've even started looking at my websites through the web browser on my Nintendo Wii - a sense a touch of OCD!

Anyway I'm fed up with IE6 it's causes so many problems and additional coding and work arounds I was wondering if I should just stop supporting and if do I need to put a disclaimer or browser detection on my sites and suggest people upgrade.

Your thoughts and experiences please....

Thanks Greg, I've read these other threads now and feel I went a bit OTT, just caught me on an off moment, had my Coffee now and calmed down!

so it's not really a case of 'SOOOO many problems', more a few niggly things that are sometimes unexpected and differnet to other browsers and I could save maybe ten mins if I didn't have to bother :)

Hi Guys,

The best way to approach this is to simply view the statistics;

Browser Statistics

and ask yourself if IE6 is now at an acceptable level that you are comftable with removing support for it. 17.4% @ Feb 2009 is still quite a count of overall people.

However, the answer is really based on your individual website and user base. Hell, you might even have a user base where no-one uses IE6 at all. You can also get more information particular to you by;

Maybe drop some code into the header of your site and capture data for a month or so to see the % of users on IE6?

or

View the awstats or similar package that you might have setup already to capture this data?

Anyway... I just wanted to point out that its not an overall problem with a single fix. It would be nice for MS to simply "switch-off" IE 6 but in reality that cant happen, where it is a gradual process that can take years. You can see from the statistics that the gradual decline in usage is an average 1-1.5% per month. I would guess there is another year at least before we see it gone completely.

So at the moment, you have to make an informed decision based on your individual case.