I want a slr

TomStutt

Hey all

I want to get myself a digital SLR. Im new to photography and am starting a photography module soon for my degree.

Is this deal and camera any good. (I dont know too much about camera). This is just to start me off for a while then once I have a bit more experience with them I can buy better with better lenses

Sony Alpha 230 18-55mm Kit - Jessops

Cheers all

Seems a nice camera, i have a simlar looking one but it's film. I am looking for a camera myself too.

I have been looking around on ebuyer.com. Next day delivery and things are (or sometimes) are cheaper. I got my computer off there for £400, 4gb, 500gb hdd etc etc. Quite decent prices.

Other than that, the price doesn't seem too bad. And nor does the camera.

I just thought for £349 then £50 cashback from sony was good. Thats mean £299 for a digital slr with an 18-55mm lense.

TomStutt said:
Hey all

I want to get myself a digital SLR. Im new to photography and am starting a photography module soon for my degree.
they're letting you work in digital now, no wonder core skills are being lost.

Seriously in my opinion if you want to learn about photography you want a 35mm film camera, learn the principles without the security of lets just wipe that and start again of a digital camera. You can get a decent 35mm slr (go for a brand which has a dslr upgrade route) for very very little these days.

I assume this module has developing photo's as part of the course, how exactly is that going to be done with a dslr

I want a digital slr as the course is called:

Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images.

A 35mm slr wont work im afraid but i know where your coming from (maybe i should have put that in my first thread).

It shows us how to use photoshop and how to manipulate and change images and also how to share them.
I have a compact one but I want to get into photography a bit more so i thought this would be a good time to start with a decent camera.

Ok
Personally I would go Nikon but thats my preference - see if Berry picks up on this thread as he's just bought a nikon dslr. Sony uses the old minolta lens mount (unless it's changed) so you can use older minolta lenses which aren't too bad (I've got an old minolta dynax 500si + a couple of lenses which I never use) although the lenses I've got on my nikon f80 are better in my opinion.

I can't speak for canon although a canon user will say a canon lens is better and a nikon a nikkor lens is better. It's usually pretty equal.

Yeah i would with Nikon or Olympus on my personal preference. But i also heard Sony are good.

Levi, the only thing i am not too keen about with a film camera is, i dunno how to develop them myself / don't have the equipment, so i have to take them in to boots or something to have them develop them. The closest place that develops them is like 20 min walk to bus stop then 30 mins bus. I can never be assed :p

I never said digital wasn't more convenient, it's just that it has that throw away mentality to your work, where as with film, every frame was precious and you worked harder on that frame, especially on things like portraits/still life etc.

Back in the day...

I used to have a dark room in the loft...real dodge and burn.
Dev, stop, fix...dry.
Great fun.

I think we got side tracked...

Does anyone think the camera I suggested is good as a starter for the price?

Personally Tom yes i do. Nothing too bad about it.
Decent for a starter camera, get some nice shots out'a it. Especially if your getting it for £299 like you said :)

Yeah it seems pretty good esp for £299. Just before i purchased mine all i read everywhere is 'only buy Nikon or Canon for a DSLR'...

I was about to buy a Canon ('cos that's what i use at work) but i picked up a Nikon for the first time in a shop and i loved it, so I paid £379 for the Nikon D60. And I have no complaints so far! Here are some of my photos if you're intrested!

But, to be honest the Sony range seems great and I think you'll be fine with it and love it!

Hey Ally, thanks for showing me the links to the pics. Have you enchanced any of them cause they look wicked?

Ta and thanks to everyone else who has resonded to my post. :)

Hej TomStutt!

I've got a Sony 350 and i'm very pleased with it! Takes good pictures, only the ISO sucks a bit . :)

TomStutt said:
Hey Ally, thanks for showing me the links to the pics. Have you enchanced any of them cause they look wicked?

Ta and thanks to everyone else who has resonded to my post. :)

Oh thanks! I'm quite pleased with the results, so would def recommend a Nikon. The only one that is enhanced is the Winter Sunset! :D

Wow ally, Some nice pics there! I love those icicles, i had some small ones on my home gym up the garden but never took a photo :(. Not as big as those though! Haha.

If you're going for that one Tom, pick it up from Amazon for a little bit less (and using the DF link, DF would get £7 to the kitty :))

EDIT - Missed the cashback bit on Jessops site, ignore the bit above!!

I've got the Sony A200 and I love it!!

I agree Ally, i love my Nikon D60 - Here's some pics i have taken on it as well...

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 5
  • edited12.jpg
    edited12.jpg