• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I need a printer/vista/mac geek !

I want to be able to print stuff from my macbook while sat on my bed without having to transfer it to pc to print.

I have tried to do it over the network and using the lpd set up on my mac but neither will work :/

Is my only other option changing the windows registry for it to work?

C

chrismitchell

some Wireless printers have trouble with Apples printing wirelessly (I remember mine did.. it was an HP printer too which was annoying) some sort of problem with the conflicting wireless accounts or connections at least. :)

Levi

Staff member
sounds like its linked to the pc to me.

Few questions
1) is printer sharing enabled in the network sharing and on the selected printer (right click share etc), passwords configured etc
2) Bonjour installed
3) same network configuration, ie same ip range (must have different last 3 numbers), subnet, gateway and 'workgroup' settings

This link should walk you through it all though:
Printer Sharing - Vista Printer Sharing With Mac OS X 10.5

edit: I think you can skip the reg hack in the link, I've had a samba based server running for ages on vista without any reg hacks so try it without first and then if it doesn't work do the hack.

No not a wireless printer...

@Levi yes printer sharing is enabled

Errrrr i do indeed have bonjour - what is it? lol!

and yep same network config! :( Boo

That link you put - ive been following that but it says about changing the registry... Im kinda a bit scared about doing it haha

Levi

Staff member
reg is easy if you follow the instructions, just export it all in case it goes balls up. if it goes wrong just import the reg file and it will fix everything back to how it was before your adjustments.

edit: just thought windows can be a bit awkward with user names, are you using the same on both with the same password etc

Have you got it sorted yet missbirdy? i went to scan something earlier and realised mine is a lexmark not a hp!! ....god i'm not with it this week!! I def remember having a problem with printing from my mac but it was ok from the pc... my bf sorted it by downloading something. I'll ask him when he comes home if you haven't sorted it!