Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i love/hate Apple

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tim

tim Senior Member

Apple released a new iPhone in the US yesterday- the UK one will be out on o2 by the 19th.

It's got a pretty good spec I think, with a lot of features finely tuned.

One problem. In America, the 8GB 3G is now $99 - whereas in UK, it'll still £342.50.

Also, the 3GS in America is:

- 16GB = $199
    - 32GB = $299

Whereas the 3GS in the UK is:

- 16GB = £440
    - 32GB = £530

Then we get to MacBooks. All the aluminium ones are called MacBook Pros, and the 13.3" basic one is now $1199 minimum, which converts at the current $-£ rate of £748.

How much are Apple selling it for here? £899.

I can sort of understand about the iPhone prices.. no wait, I cant... but that's o2's fault as they can charge however much they want for one.

But the MacBooks... they don't take £151 more to make for the UK - in fact I'm pretty sure it's the same price to make one for the UK as it is the US, so why is it more expensive!?

Apple said at their conference yesterday that they wanted to make Apple more affordable, which is great. But this is just stupid. $99 in US means like £65 in UK...? But that's still going for £342.50.

Their conference unveiled some great new plans yesterday- 3.0 software for iTouch/iPhone looks amazing, and the new specs for iPhone look pretty near to perfect... Snow Leopard was released too, which is also looking next to perfect, so what's the reason for screwing us all over in the UK!?
  2. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

Hi Tim,

I was about to correct you on the "All aluminium ones are called macbook pros" but now see there is no alluminium macbook anymore?!? they've effectively just renamed the alluminium macbook to 13inch Mac Book Pro?? but its the same prices as when it was just the alluminium macbook??

Also I thought the iphones over here were cheaper than that dependant on contract?

On the radio this am it said the new prices will be announced with their uk launch next week...
  3. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

The higher price is controlled by the government... It's to protect the domestic economy. Apple has to pay import taxes, so they have to raise the price to cover the extra costs.

Thought you'd be able to figure that out yourself :hat:
  4. tim

tim Senior Member

I don't think import charges are £151 per Macbook, and £200+ per iPhone.

Sorry, I was referring to the PAYG prices above. Just surprises me that Apple and O2 can do this...

I'm going on 3G contract as of the 19th because you still get 3.0, and hopefully the tariffs will be better. I'm not too bothered about Pay Monthly costs right now- you get a lot in those tariffs.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

First of all, Europe tends to have high import tariffs on electronics. Also you should keep in mind that Apple has to do advertising for countries other than the US. And shipping isn't free either :p
  6. tim

tim Senior Member

No, I know, I'm not denying/disagreeing with that, but it's not so high that each iPhone is £151 higher.

Just read @miralize tweets and this is one:

Yes, it's import costs, but no, they're not €300 worth.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Well they'll want to keep their marginal profit the same throughout the world... They're not trying to screw you over by asking so much just because you're living in the UK. They just want consistency.
  8. tim

tim Senior Member

9. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

But they don't make the same profit... What you just said above is based on the assumption that they don't have any additional costs to sell in Europe.

I'll use easy numbers. They sell something in the US for $1000. That's equivalent to selling at £621 in the UK. Do they make the same profit? No, because they have to pay charges. So let's say they have to pay £100 import... what will they be selling at? £721 :)

And now keep in mind that it's not only import costs they're covering.
  10. tim

tim Senior Member

True true, but I'm still reluctant to think it's £151 worth per Macbook.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

And even if they are screwing you over... what are you gonna do about it? :p
    Although there are organizations that look into unfair pricing and stuff.
  12. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Tim - Everything is more expensive in England, Cars/houses/materials/petrol/electronics/taxes. Everything. It helps pay for politicians mortgages on houses they dont even own.

Road tax for 4x4's and sporty cars is a rediculous 320pound a year now.
  13. tim

tim Senior Member

haha :p

No no I understand that, I really do, I just think Apple contradicted themslves as to what they said at WWDC yesterday. They want to make apple more affordable?

They're sticking to the same prices... and even if they reduced it by £75 they'd still be making millions and millions of profit.
  14. Greg

Greg Active Member

Bren is right, went to fill up the hire car with petrol this morning in Cairns, $1.11/litre, about 56p a litre! Back in the UK you don't see petrol for under £1 a litre now, just shows how much things get taxed (petrol being one of the highest I know)
  15. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Why are they contradicting themselves? If it's cheaper in the US than it was before, it's cheaper in the UK than it was before too, or it will be soon :confused:
  16. Greg

Greg Active Member

Apple being more affordable probably means something different to them than it does the average consumer Tim, they most likely consider product ranges like the iPod Shuffle an affordable Apple product, rather than making all their products 'affordable' across the board..?
  17. tim

tim Senior Member

Well they said that they wanted to make it more affordable when they announced the 3G was now $99 in America... so from that I thought they actually understand the meaning of affordable.
  18. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

So after all this bitching, Tim... are you still gonna buy an iPhone/MB Pro ?
  19. tim

tim Senior Member

Because they said more affordable, as in people will be able to go to a shop and think "yeah, that's a great price" not "yeah, it's 50p cheaper".

It's not bitching, it's being concerned :p

And yes, I am, but that's because my parents are getting me the 3GS and my MacBook + one of my jobs = 15" MacBook Pro.
  20. Greg

Greg Active Member

Thread makes more sense now!
    Sorry not seen the video of WWDC :)