I just got a pretty weird task...

AndrewHamster

Hello. Please, look at the attachment and share your thoughts.
I don't even know what that table is for and what it means. But I need to make it readable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much have no idea what it means either, regardless, just needs tidying up.

Overall what's the task, what's the printed size, or is it going on the web, or a powerpoint?

Well... it's readable as it is but I'm buggered if I understand it? ;)
Maybe you can explain it to me? :)
Pretty much have no idea what it means either, regardless, just needs tidying up.

Overall what's the task, what's the printed size, or is it going on the web, or a powerpoint?

The task was, I quote: "It is necessary to impose data from the table in a readable and understandable form, taking into account the fact that there may be more than 120 processes. The result must be printable (and be able to be implemented interactively)".

I don't even know what that table is for and what it means. But I need to make it readable.

You're best asking the client to explain it, they're the most suitable person to help you. I get spreadsheets sent over all the time and I don't understand a lot of the lingo and data. A quick phone call or email normally makes things a bit clearer.

Do they want it to remain as a table? It sounds like they might want it breaking into different graphs and charts? What's the final format? Printed in a multi-page document? A single, huge wall chart? It's hard to advice without knowing how they want to use/present the data.

You're best asking the client to explain it, they're the most suitable person to help you. I get spreadsheets sent over all the time and I don't understand a lot of the lingo and data. A quick phone call or email normally makes things a bit clearer.

Do they want it to remain as a table? It sounds like they might want it breaking into different graphs and charts? What's the final format? Printed in a multi-page document? A single, huge wall chart? It's hard to advice without knowing how they want to use/present the data.

You absolutely right, but this is a pre-employment test and they don't want to give additional information. Creativity test, lol. To be honest, after this I don't want to work with them, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions. :)

You absolutely right, but this is a pre-employment test and they don't want to give additional information. Creativity test, lol. To be honest, after this I don't want to work with them, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions. :)

Is this a full-time position, or a freelance job? If it was me, I'd be worried that they aren't willing to help you out. Creativity has nothing to do with it at this stage. They've literally given you a data dump and asked you to make it look nice. That's not what will be involved 99% of the time and I'd question if they really know what is involved with a design role. I can't make data legible if I don't understand it. As the saying goes, you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

You should really come up with the creative solutions, and post them here and we will let you know what we think...

Immediately, there are about 20 different ways it can done - it's up to you make it better either as a better table, broken out graphics, as an inforgraphic or 15 other different ways.

I look forward to what you come up with.

Looks like the table is some sort of review or after assessment on how something is being done and how they can 'improve' it. Think of it as us critiquing a company but in table format although I have no idea what a lot of the numbers mean so guessing there's some key or internal grading somewhere. As said it would be best to have a chat with the client to be certain though.

It does look like there's a lot of information for people to assess so I would just go with a clean and tidy table approach.

I get the idea of a test but I think this one kind of sucks and I'm not sure what they want to achieve apart from wasting peoples/your time and play mind games.
A bit like asking you to design something without a brief or even telling you what they want.

"I don't know what I want but I'll know when I see it"

I mean...you wouldn't ask an Architect design a building without telling them what it's for and just handing them a spread sheet with random stuff on it.

I was in a situation like this a number of years back with an employer that seemed to be just trying to find my breaking point.

You've got to ask yourself, "Would I want to work for people like this"?

Back