I have just purchased a iMac, I want to design a logo for my business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bring this back up but can i just say Hank and Levi's responses to this post would really discourage myself and other beginners like me from posting. And what's more alarming is they have the power to silence these type of posts being moderators. just doesn't seem fair.

Personally I don't see an issue with the posts and I wouldn't have restricted anyone posting the same type of comments or replies as mine and Hank's. As I'm sure you're aware the nuances of the English language don't always translate as easily in a typed format.
While we try to be helpful (and joke about) in some cases the 'help' that a poster is after can be seen as being pretty insulting to those of us who do this work for a living and have spent years training to do it. It is not as simple as owning a computer and photoshop or illustrator.

For the record the only posts I actually bother editing/deleting are those that are filled with spam or link to sites that undervalue the work we do like crowdsourcing etc. Note I do actually state if I change a post in red text so you can see it's been done.

Sorry to bring this back up but can i just say Hank and Levi's responses to this post would really discourage myself and other beginners like me from posting. And what's more alarming is they have the power to silence these type of posts being moderators. just doesn't seem fair.

Point taken. And it's fair. Moderators do need to be moderated from time to time, and we welcome the feedback.

To be honest it is something that comes around a lot and when it does it irks the pros up a bit, because as Levi says, it's not just about owning a computer and getting the illegal downloadz of the software and then you're a graphic designer... put it this way, I wouldn't buy an xray machine and then post to a Doctor's forum to ask how do you use it...I want to be a doctor in my area, it's kinda the same thing.

Similarly, I wouldn't buy a two person chainsaw and post on a logging forum asking for help in using it... or buy a formula 1 car and ask does anyone know how to drive this thing.

Or I wouldn't buy a computer that I didn't need to buy to do a job that I don't know how to do, then post to a forum asking people in the profession how to go about it all because I want to give it a whirl, please let me know what free software I can use, because basically I can do it better than you - by the way I spent £3000 on the computer and the software, and then when I went to get it printed the printers charged me an extra £360 to fix the logo that I designed...whereas if I hired a designer I could have got the whole thing done for £500 and saved £2860 and that money into another part of my business.

I only delete spam posts though, or those offering their amazing skillz for $5 a logo.

images

I want to be to moderator, moderator.

BTW. I'll design you a logo for $499.
(Sh@t! Last time I said that someone actually PM'd me to ask for one doing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wacom's are an awesome bit of kit and I'd really recommend them but they're not essential.
Once you've used one you may disagree.
They take a bit of time to get used to but once you do you'll prefer them over a mouse even for general use to replace a mouse rather than just drawing and stuff.

I had a big old Intuos 2 and it was bullet proof but took up too much space on my desk.
The bottom end Wacoms like the Bamboo are fantastic and I was surprised how good they were in comparison to the Intuos and they're just the right size.

You'll find they speed things up no end and going back to a mouse will seem clunky and awkward.
Get one! You NEED one! ;)
Totally off topic but when you mentioned the wacom it made me think of the mouse that I'm using for all of my in-program shortcuts for the Adobe suite. It's the Razer naga, with 12+ programmable buttons that guaranteed speed up your workflow.

Totally off topic but when you mentioned the wacom it made me think of the mouse that I'm using for all of my in-program shortcuts for the Adobe suite. It's the Razer naga, with 12+ programmable buttons that guaranteed speed up your workflow.

I guess it depends what you use them for really but 12 buttons would speed things up a bit I'd imagine. ;)

I think where a tablet excels is in the controllability as the movement is so refined from your finger tips rather than from your wrist with a mouse.
Also for the fluidity of certain tasks which you just can't do with a mouse.

I think it's "horses for courses" and depends on the task in hand but I found I used the tablet for everything else as well and then using a mouse felt like I was working with boxing gloves on.

Thank you for thoughts and advice! It's appreciated very much!
I will post my projects as soon as I start knuckling down. Speak soon
i have been reading your replies. i like. it's tough out there so if you need a hand or info, drop me a line. thanks

It's a forum. A place for public opinion, by definition. Yes, advice was asked for and the advice was given, by experienced users who are competent.

Ive found this forum interesting over the past few days, i know this is a very old thread but after seeing 'hanks' comments and 'levis' comments its made me turn me head! very sarcastic and it was asif they were looking down on the poor fella. there meant to be 'moderators' aswell. its a no from me, go on, tell me am wrong xD

Ive found this forum interesting over the past few days, i know this is a very old thread but after seeing 'hanks' comments and 'levis' comments its made me turn me head! very sarcastic and it was asif they were looking down on the poor fella. there meant to be 'moderators' aswell. its a no from me, go on, tell me am wrong xD

You're entitled to your opinion - as we are also entitled to ours.

Sarcasm is allowed on the forums. Opinions are allowed on the forum. Advice is allowed on the forums. Advice given sarcastically on the forum is allowed.

What is not allowed is rude, insulting, or threatening behaviour, or any behaviour deemed inappropriate by the moderators (and yes we do talk to each other before making decisions).

I've reviewed the comments, and there's nothing too sarcastic - I basically outlined the thought process, they spent well over £2000 on computers and software that they didn't know how to use - and probably needed about a years worth of training to develop 1 logo.

Forgive me for telling the fella that he's wasted £2000 and a year of his life for something he could have paid £500 for.

If you don't like it, there's plenty of other forums out there - you don't have to be on this one.

Good luck.

<thread closed>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back