I have just purchased a iMac, I want to design a logo for my business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam_1991

hey guys,

I have just purchased a iMac, now I want to start getting creative!
A software which I'm trying to download is called Adobe illustrator.
This is very expensive to my best knowledge, so is there an alternative software? Or, is there a cheaper way of paying for it (legitimately). Do I just go on the Adobe website?

I just want a create logos/font work for business and pleasure. I am a complete beginner so I'm very unaware of what tool their for me to download.

Cheers

So you bought an iMac and now can't afford Illustrator?

Money better elsewhere, like a PC for half the price and also buy Illustrator.

It's €24.59 a month... that's how much Illustrator costs.

I think you would have been better of spending €500 to get someone to design your logo, that 1) Buy expensive computer that you don't need to create a logo, 2) Not have enough money to buy the industry standard software. 3) Not have the skills - I presume - to design a logo.

And I only presume by your post and nothing else. Yes you might have mad skillz in design, but designing a logo is more than making it pretty; it's about making it ready for the world, print, web, digital, and many different substrates.

Good luck.

Hello Hank,

I must say I found your reply quite insulting, I hope that my post was not the same.
I am only asking a simple question, so I don't understand why you would reply with such sarcasm and with such a negative attitude.
Oh well, that's you problem!

I don't have an university degree behind me In design ect, but I do have bags of passion. To be honest I enjoy drawing and designing things.
Always have and always will.

I am looking to learn over a period to use the software, I already know some basics of the science behind creating logos. I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but I will pick it up eventually.
Basically in a nut shell, I enjoy design so it's going to take a lot more than some negative arsehole to steer me away from this!

Why would I pay some one to design a logo for me?
I'm creative and it's my business. Obviously I know different corporate settings usually have different corporate design. I know the research behind colour choice.
I'm looking to create something extremely minimal, just a nice font and a shape.
No offence but I can manage that my self!

I think I made the right purchase with the iMac! I've had laptops before and they don't last!
One more more thing I can afford what ever I want, i just choose wisely before spending it!

Oh and Levi, thanks for that little dig!
If I dident know any better, this feels like bullying.
I think a good quote here is "every professional was once a beginner"

So I'm sorry your to pompous to help a newbie out. I'm looking for encouragement and advice, not comments like yours!

You missed the point altogether - and mind your language!

You paid upward of 2000 for a Mac and didn't even know what software was required? You guessed at Illustrator....

My point was that for the one project you want to create a logo for - your business - you invested 2000 in a computer that you didn't need to.

There's plenty of fonts out there - but the free ones are not for commercial use - and the fonts on the market that are good are expensive - or at least that you pay for. Again, another business expense - for your logo.

Someone could have made the logo for you, someone that has a business in graphic design, someone that has a collection of bought and paid for fonts and someone that knows what they're doing making a logo.

As said before - there's more than just picking a font and a shape. You need to consider all the substrates,

Colour theory is simple, anyone can read this online or in a book. It's simple - there's nothing to it.

Yes my post was sarcastic - but this is a graphic design forum and the amount of people that drop by and say ... hey I can do your job just tell me how to do it ... that's the most insulting thing in the world.

Good luck.

I don't think I missed the point at all.. I payed close to £1000 the computer. This is something I've wanted for ages, mainly to get creative. At the moment all I do is draw and use cheap apps to design and mock up stuff. I have done for years. I LIKE IT !! I ENJOY IT!!. What's the harm in asking questions? I mean seriously, what is the harm ??

I don't plan on earning a living from designing logos etc, it's just for personal use, I didn't buy a Mac just to create a logo for my one and only business lol, who would be that stupid? I purchased the Mac for many many reasons.

I appreciate that your probably very proud of your trade and also worked hard for it.
I also appreciate that's it's many "substrates" and also there's theory behind it.
Clearly there is a lot to consider before designing anything.

I'm well aware of that!! I'm not doing in commercially or starting up my own design studio, jeez!

I have simply taken an intrest into this industry, I plan on running more than one business. I would like to be able to have a big control over the image of the business.
Is that such a crime??

No I didn't think so !

I got to be honest here, I think you should lighten up my friend!

Hank you said " colour theory is simple, any one can read that online or in a book" I'm pretty sure that's how most things are learnt these days. You think all designers are just slave debt students, no no no.
Some must of taught them selves, right ?

Please refrain from commenting on my future posts please.
I came on this forum for assistance and friendly guidance ect.

Not to get mocked for wanting to learn how to design properly!!

Oh and Levi, thanks for that little dig!
If I dident know any better, this feels like bullying.
I think a good quote here is "every professional was once a beginner"

It wasn't a dig, it's an ongoing joke within designers who constantly see people saying they can do design work because they own photoshop and/or a mac computer.
As to the every professional was once a beginner, well yes that is a quote that is correct, but you're missing the fact that most professional designers have several years of training after that beginning so they can do the job properly.
I'll put it in another way too, an area which I would think you're familiar with, would you expect someone to be able to build a brick wall using a brickweave or a flemish layout after just picking up a trowel or would you expect them to be able to do a 3 point arch (this isn't just the single radius) after someone just 'tells them' how to do it. I know for a fact that you can't, but you can learn how to do it after spending a large amount of time with someone who actually knows what they are doing (thanks Dad :)).

I don't think I missed the point at all.. I payed close to £1000 the computer.
Hank is in Ireland so is working in euro's, if you only paid a £1000 for it then it's likely the lower spec model meaning you could have got a considerably better windows based pc to do the same work on.
This is something I've wanted for ages, mainly to get creative.
....seriously, you need a mac to get creative, that is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard, you've already been creative by using pen and paper. If anything using a computer to be creative is likely going to stifle your creativity due to your limited knowledge of the programs you will be trying to use. My 3D work is some of the most computer intensive work in the design field and even that starts on pen and paper.

I don't plan on earning a living from designing logos etc, it's just for personal use,
but you do plan on doing the logo for your business, the first thing anyone sees about your business....

Levi,

Your camparison is totally different, all I want to do is learn how to draw and design logos on my computer.
If it goes wrong then all I have is bad logo ect. It's not going to harm anyone accept my self, right?
If a novice in the building game starts erecting walls, well that could end Bad, with a huge amount of liability against people hurt etc. So that's a terrible comparison.

I really don't see what's hard to understand here!

i just wanted help to find a alternative to illustrator, some one answered me already. I don't need you and Hank to team up and try and tell me that I'm wrong for wanting to learn how to digitally design a logo for MY OWN BUSINESS!!
I already have a decent logo which I designed Using a payed app on iTunes. It's literally nothing to it. All I want to do is change my business cards and make a few flyers..

I have Mac to make music, draw, edit photos etc.. All creative Levi! So no owning a Mac to get creative is quite sensible really, I think it even has its own place in the AppStore. " apps to get creative or something like that!

You pair really need to pipe down, if you don't like what you see then comment fairly please.

I'm not saying I can do your jobs, I just want to learn how to do it my self..

Time will tell my friends, see where I get so to speak !

Chow

My comparison is fine, we weren't even going into liability topics so I ignored the legal aspects and picked a topic you should be familiar with. There are numerous areas of design that have legal considerations, copyright and trademarks are just two of them.

And you could do 'all your creative things' on a windows machine too, it doesn't mean it's the best approach to it. And you're really stretching with that reply, I don't even think you've even understood what being creative truly means, creativity doesn't come from the tool used to create it.

But it's pretty obvious you're not going to listen to professionals who actually know just how much goes into designing a brand logo, which you think is fine coming off a paid app on iTunes, so I'm just going to let you go off and find out just how hard it is to create something that is professional that doesn't fall foul of any of the legal pitfalls that designers contend with everyday.

Check out Affinity Designer, it's a powerful program for the price, and does a lot of stuff better than Illustrator does (and it only costs £40). There's also Affinity Photo as a Photoshop alternative, which again is £40. Both were available from the Apple app store last time I checked, though I'd buy direct from them if possible, updates will probably be, well, more up to date.

Unless you're going to use it a LOT I'd avoid going to the expense of getting Illustrator.
It's quite expensive and it has quite a steep learning curve.

I'd check out Affinity like Paul says as I'm going to give it a go when I upgrade my Mac.

If you do go for AI then it'd probably be worth signing up to Lynda.com for a month to get you going.

@Liam_1991
I've had the same experiences with Windows computers not lasting, and I have clients moan about the new windows practically every other week. I recently lost a potential new client due to his, and I quote; 'Bloody Windows 10!!!' PC having a heart attack. He could no longer afford my services, as he now has to use the money to repair / replace his computer, (he thinks it needs replacing).

There is nothing wrong with you buying an iMac and there would of been nothing wrong with you buying a Windows PC. The point is, one is not needed over the other for what you would like to do. Either or would suffice. It all comes down to affordability, personal preference and your requirements.

All the best in your design adventure! Post some of your work from time to time and let us see how you're getting along.

PS. I've never used any of these but Inkscape is a good shout and I've heard nothing but good things about Affinity.

I work on both mac and windows and I'm fed up with the mac. ..constant crashing and all that. I've even spent 3000 on a new Mac and is very slow at times and still bloody crashes. People have different experiences with their OS. I always say whatever floats your boat. Well after I say don't buy what you don't really need. It was a bit of waste of money...but hey...

Gimp instead of photoshop
Inkscape for illustrator
Scribus for indesign / quark

I've a list somewhere of alternatives for Adobe I'll see if I can dig it up.

Best of luck with the design and I would be very interested to see the progress.

Thanks guys, I will be having a lot of spare time due to attending college in September. So I'm downing the tools and working on my passions ect. I will defiantly post my projects and will defiantly welcome any feed back what so ever.
I will try the suggested programmes ASAP. I still haven't had time to use Inkscape yet.

The reason for the Mac purchase was probably due to all the hype with surrounds OS. So far so good though with the Mac. Runs perfect and looks great in the apartment. With all due respect Apple has slayed the game in terms of design and aesthetics.

I was wondering if me purchasing a Wacom stylus thingy is essential or not ? Although I would like to sketch stuff as well for fun. So I assume free hand work is tricky with out one.

Also thank you for the more welcoming replies.

Speak soon.

Check out Affinity Designer, it's a powerful program for the price, and does a lot of stuff better than Illustrator does (and it only costs £40). There's also Affinity Photo as a Photoshop alternative, which again is £40. Both were available from the Apple app store last time I checked, though I'd buy direct from them if possible, updates will probably be, well, more up to date.

That looks awesome, thank you for your help !!! :)

@Liam_1991
I've had the same experiences with Windows computers not lasting, and I have clients moan about the new windows practically every other week. I recently lost a potential new client due to his, and I quote; 'Bloody Windows 10!!!' PC having a heart attack. He could no longer afford my services, as he now has to use the money to repair / replace his computer, (he thinks it needs replacing).

There is nothing wrong with you buying an iMac and there would of been nothing wrong with you buying a Windows PC. The point is, one is not needed over the other for what you would like to do. Either or would suffice. It all comes down to affordability, personal preference and your requirements.

All the best in your design adventure! Post some of your work from time to time and let us see how you're getting along.

PS. I've never used any of these but Inkscape is a good shout and I've heard nothing but good things about Affinity.

Thank you for thoughts and advice! It's appreciated very much!
I will post my projects as soon as I start knuckling down. Speak soon

Thanks guys, I will be having a lot of spare time due to attending college in September. So I'm downing the tools and working on my passions ect. I will defiantly post my projects and will defiantly welcome any feed back what so ever.
I will try the suggested programmes ASAP. I still haven't had time to use Inkscape yet.

The reason for the Mac purchase was probably due to all the hype with surrounds OS. So far so good though with the Mac. Runs perfect and looks great in the apartment. With all due respect Apple has slayed the game in terms of design and aesthetics.

I was wondering if me purchasing a Wacom stylus thingy is essential or not ? Although I would like to sketch stuff as well for fun. So I assume free hand work is tricky with out one.

Also thank you for the more welcoming replies.

Speak soon.

Wacom's are an awesome bit of kit and I'd really recommend them but they're not essential.
Once you've used one you may disagree.
They take a bit of time to get used to but once you do you'll prefer them over a mouse even for general use to replace a mouse rather than just drawing and stuff.

I had a big old Intuos 2 and it was bullet proof but took up too much space on my desk.
The bottom end Wacoms like the Bamboo are fantastic and I was surprised how good they were in comparison to the Intuos and they're just the right size.

You'll find they speed things up no end and going back to a mouse will seem clunky and awkward.
Get one! You NEED one! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back